67 Low-Carb Dinner Recipes that are easy to prepare, perfect for meal prep and are great for those looking to make changes to their diet or maintain a carb-conscious lifestyle.
For those of you who are looking to clean up your diet after the holidays, I’ve gotchu. Before we dive into this recipe roundup, it’s important to mention I don’t recommend any one style of eating as a blanketed template, as our body’s needs are constantly shifting.
I do find eating a diet that is lower in carbohydrate tends to be how I personally function best. It is also sustainable for my body type, where eating low-carb for some people can be the kiss of death.
Regardless of your diet protocol, be mindful of what you are changing and observe your body’s reaction. Avoid “sticking it out” or “suffering through it” when something feels drastically wrong.
Why Eat Low-Carb?:
Again, I will never tell you how to eat. I will, however, tell you why one would choose to eat a diet low in carbohydrate.
Depending on your body chemistry, carbohydrate raises your blood sugar and can cause inflammation when eaten in excess. Higher blood sugar can result in insulin resistance or diabetes when left unchecked, leading to a slew of ancillary health issues. If you find you are constantly hungry, become angry or anxious if you go more than a few hours without eating, crave sugar or fatty processed foods, or if you experience mood and energy shifts, you could be insulin resistant. While this may not be life-threatening in the short term, it can lead to diabetes in the long-term.
Chronic inflammation in your body can also lead to numerous health complications and diseases as well as hormonal imbalance, gut dysbiosis and more. Chronic inflammation reduces your body’s natural immune system, making it more difficult to clear toxins, fight and prevent disease. All disease is the result of inflammation, so monitoring your inflammation is the best insurance policy you could possibly buy into.
When to Eat Low-Carb:
Uncovering how your body functions best is your journey. I shift my diet to low-carb when I notice something is off with my digestive system (i.e. I’m constipated, gassy, my poop is just weird, etc), when I’m noticing big shifts in energy or mood, wake up feeling puffy for no reason, and/or when I’ve put on some extra pounds that I’d rather not have.
When I shift my diet to include less sugar or carbohydrate, I notice an immediate difference in my energy level and mood. Within a few days, I feel trimmer and my digestive system usually resets itself. That said, the process of feeling better can require more time for those whose bodies are not accustomed to eating low carb and need time to detoxify. Your starting point matters here.
What is the Difference Between Low-Carb and Keto?:
The ketogenic diet trains your body to use fat for fuel as opposed to carbohydrate. A low-carb diet does not explicitly mean you are burning fat for fuel, but rather you are mindfully consuming less carbohydrate (often between 50 and 150 grams per day depending on your level of activity) than the standard American diet.
In order for one to get into ketosis, he/she must consume a very low amount of carbohydrate, often between 30 and 75 grams of carbs, again dependent upon activity level (note: some athletes can still live in and out of ketosis while consuming upwards of 150 to 200 grams of carbs per day).
With that, let’s dive into some delicious low-carb recipes that will nourish your body, provide a reset for those of you who need it, and/or give you more dinner options to choose from for those who already eat a cleaner diet that is carb-conscious.
Fish & Seafood
- Orange Ginger Baked Halibut with Blueberry Avocado Salsa from The Roasted Root
- Mediterranean Salmon in Parchment Paper from The Roasted Root
- Pressure Cooker Coconut Shrimp Curry from Piping Pot Curry
- Blackened Salmon from Mom Foodie
- Light Shrimp Scampi from Grandbaby Cakes
- 30-Minute Thai Red Curry with Fish from The Roasted Root
- Salmon Bowls with Avocado and Carrot Rice from The Roasted Root
- Salmon Stir Fry with Vegetables from The Roasted Root
- Pan-Seared Salmon with Lemon Artichoke Salsa from Iowa Girl Eats
- Crispy Salmon Cakes with Lemon Dill Sauce from Flavor the Moments
- Shrimp Gumbo Soup from The Roasted Root
- Roasted Halibut with Tomatoes Peppers and Olives from The View From Great Island
- Cajun Shrimp Cauliflower Rice Bowls from Big Bear’s Wife
- Lemon Garlic Foil Packet Shrimp from The Roasted Root
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken from The Roasted Root
- Ground Turkey Egg Roll Bowls from The Roasted Root
- Thai Tom Kha Gai from The Roasted Root
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup from Piping Hot Curry
- Easy Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts from Cook Eat Paleo
- Salsa Lime Chicken from Bless Her Heart Y’all
- Baked Pizza Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken from Big Bear’s Wife
- Instant Pot Marry Me Chicken from Mom Foodie
- Orange Ginger Grilled Chicken from The Roasted Root
- Chicken Cacciatore from Country Cleaver
- Greek Chicken Skewers from Country Cleaver
- Easy Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bake from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Crunchy Taco Salad with Spiced Ground Turkey from The Roasted Root
- Cuban Roasted Chicken from Jersey Girl Cooks
- Zucchini and Ground Turkey Skillet from The Roasted Root
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole from All Day I Dream About Food
- Keto Chicken and Mushrooms from All Day I Dream About Food
- Mozzarella Bruschetta Chicken from Iowa Girl Eats
- Instant Pot Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps from The Roasted Root
- Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Meatballs from The View From Great Island
- Low-Carb Riced Cauliflower Stuffing from Flavor the Moments
- Spinach Frittata with Zucchini, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese from The Roasted Root
- Collard Greens, Feta, and Mushroom Frittata from The Roasted Root
- Keto Breakfast Casserole from Dear Crissy
- Spaghetti Squash Egg Nests from The Roasted Root
- Zucchini Herb Sausage Breakfast Casserole from The Roasted Root
- 30-Minute Vegetable and Ground Beef Skillet from The Roasted Root
- Instant Pot Tart Cherry Short Ribs from The Roasted Root
- Air Fryer Steak from Recipes from a Pantry
- Low-Carb Taco Casserole from Wonky Wonderful
- Red Curry Meatballs with Spaghetti Squash from The Roasted Root
- Steak Fajita Bowls from The Lemon Bowl
- No-Bean Whole30 Keto Chili in the Instant Pot from Food Faith Fitness
- Keto French Onion Meatloaf from All Day I Dream About Food
- Instant Pot Beef Stew from The Roasted Root
- Easy Low-Carb Paleo Meatloaf from Food Faith Fitness
- Beef Tenderloin Tips and Mushrooms from Jersey Girl Cooks
- Easy Baked Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce from Home Cooking Memories
- Mexican Zucchini from A Cedar Spoon
- Crock Pot Keto Taco Casserole Recipe from Wholesome Yum
- Low-Carb Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole from Wonky Wonderful
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole from Casserole Crissy
- Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole Au Gratin from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Instant Pot Ribs from Cook Eat Paleo
- Low-Carb Pizza Casserole from Homemade Interest
- Keto Antipasto Salad from Homemade Interest
- Crock Pot Carnitas Burrito Bowls from The Roasted Root
- Pork Chops with Blueberry Olive Tapenade from The Roasted Root
- Jagerschnitzel Chanterelle Mushrooms from Masala Herb
- Mushroom Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Casserole from The Roasted Root
- Easy Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash Home Cooking Memories
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad for Recipe from a Pantry
- Vegan Red Curry Zucchini Noodle Bowls from The Roasted Root
Let me know what you love!
Saturday 11th of January 2020
what a great list of recipes, thank you for sharing all of them, wow
Sunday 12th of January 2020
I'm so glad you like it, Sabrina! Let me know if you try any of the recipes :D xo