Tuscan Chicken with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes in coconut milk sauce made in just one skillet! This easy paleo-friendly recipe is dairy-free, low-carb, keto, and whole30 compliant. PLUS it has show-stopping flavor!
Crispy yet tender chicken cooked to perfection in a creamy sauce with cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and basil? Throw in perfectly toasted gluten-free bread with a slathering of butter and a self-driving vehicle, and our lives are complete!
This is where dreams come to flourish.
For those of you who love your animal protein, this simple, straight-forward skillet chicken recipe is crazy easy to prepare and results in mouth-watering rustic flavor. One bite, and you’ll be transported to the romantic rolling hills of the Italian countryside.
- Made in one pot or skillet
- Dairy-free yet creamy
- Crispy, finger lickin good tender chicken
- Gluten-free, grain-free
Let’s stop talking about it and make it already!
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken:
Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron skillet to medium heat.
Sprinkle the chicken with sea salt, paprika, and oregano. Place chicken on the hot skillet skin-side down. Cook 7 minutes, flip, then cook another 7 minutes, until both sides are crispy and browned.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Drain the fat from the skillet.
Add the coconut milk, spinach, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped basil and sea salt. Stir well and bring mixture to a full boil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back into the skillet and return to a full but gentle boil. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
- If you don’t follow a Low-FODMAP diet, add ⅓ cup chopped onion and 4 cloves garlic. If adding onion and garlic, saute them in the skillet after browning the chicken and before adding the coconut milk.
- Don’t like coconut milk? Swap it out for heavy cream or half & half.
- Add your favorite herbs, like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme! And oregano 😉
- Add ¼ cup dry white wine if you enjoy cooking with alcohol!
More Healthy Chicken Recipes:
- Orange Ginger Grilled Chicken
- One Pot Indian Chicken Biryani
- Grain-Free Pretzel Crusted Baked Chicken
- Lemon Rosemary Braised Chicken Thighs
- Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Basil Crispy Baked Chicken
I hope this easy chicken recipe is as much of a staple in your household as it is in mine! Enjoy!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
One-Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes is a healthy paleo, keto, whole30 dinner recipe
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 3 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, or boneless thighs
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron skillet to medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with sea salt, paprika, and oregano. Place chicken on the hot skillet skin-side down. Cook 7 minutes, flip, then cook another 7 minutes, until both sides are crispy and browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Drain the fat from the skillet.
- Add the coconut milk, spinach, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped basil and sea salt. Stir well and bring mixture to a full boil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet and return to a full but gentle boil. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 425Total Fat 28gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 38g
Sunday 8th of May 2022
I made this yesterday and my husband actually slept through the night without a single stomach ache! I substituted Greek yogurt for the coconut milk, as neither one of like coconut in anything but desserts/sweets. Even though I watered down the yogurt, it still split. The dish itself was absolutely delicious and I will make it again but will use unsweetened almond milk instead and see how that works.
I made this with the Lemon Garlic Rosemary rice and that was delicious as well and paired perfectly with the chicken. So glad I found your site! Thanks your all your information and great recipes!
Monday 9th of May 2022
Shay! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe and that it made you feel well - that's a big win! Thanks so much for sharing your substitutions, as that's very helpful to others who want to try the same thing. Much love to you! xo
Saturday 18th of December 2021
I'm trying to make a lot of this for a crowd ... after browning the chicken on the stove top, do you think I could put the sauce and the chicken in a large casserole dish and cook it covered in the oven until done?
Monday 20th of December 2021
Yes, absolutely! That would be the perfect way of going about it. I'm not sure how long it would need in the oven (my guess is 30 minutes?), but you can keep an eye on it by checking the internal temperature of the chicken to check for doneness using a thermometer if you'd like. Hope you and your guests love it! xoxo
Thursday 29th of October 2020
I tried this and there wasn’t as much of the yellow sauce that was in your picture. In fact there was none of it by the time I got done cooking lol maybe I need to use a smaller pot or something.
Thursday 14th of January 2021
@Ken Warren, Yes, I think a smaller skillet would be better. I made mine in my 10" cast iron and there was a perfect amount of sauce. I only used a 1 lb. breast but used the full amount of everything else and a bit less spice.
Friday 7th of February 2020
This is my favorite recipe of yours. I've already made it 3 times! I've made it without the sun dried tomatoes and it still tastes great. It goes really well with arborio rice cooked in chicken broth and a side of lacinato kale.
Margaret D Sax
Saturday 4th of January 2020
I just made this, it wasn't that hard and it tastes delicious. Thank you so much I'm so glad it is FODMAP as well.
Sunday 5th of January 2020
I'm so happy you like it, Margaret! Thanks so much for sharing! xo