Foil Packet Shrimp with lemon, garlic and butter is a quick and easy method for preparing shrimp. This recipe includes instructions on how to grill shrimp in foil packets as well as baking instructions. Serve them as an impressive appetizer for friends and family or as the easiest dinner alongside your favorite side dishes.
Seriously, though, have you ever met a shrimp you didn’t like?
I recently began grilling and baking shrimp in foil packets for an easy dinner.
It’s just too ingenious not to! This basic delicious recipe for Lemon Garlic Foil Packet Shrimp is so quick, simple, fun to make, and is quite the little crowd pleaser.
If you enjoy entertaining guests, you can make this healthy shrimp recipe in a split second and use it as an appetizer. Or, whip them up as a main entrée or side dish for an impressive meal.
You can prepare shrimp in foil by either grilling or baking it. I have included instructions for both methods in this post.
The best part about this recipe, is it only requires a handful of basic ingredients, likely most of which you already have right in your home.
Shrimp, butter, garlic, dried or fresh parsley, a squirt of lemon juice, and possibly some red pepper flakes if that’s your jam…is all you need for this recipe. Along with one sheet of foil.
You can easily scale up the amount of ingredients you use depending on how many people you’re serving.
Let’s discuss the simple ingredients for this yummy shrimp recipe!
Ingredients for Lemon Garlic Foil Packet Shrimp:
Raw Shrimp: The star of the show here is fresh shrimp! I like using large shrimp but any size will work. For the easiest prep, buy shrimp that are already peeled and deveined.
Butter (Or Ghee): A truly supportive ingredient, butter not only brings amazing creamy flavor to the meal but we’re left with tender shrimp with amazing texture. You can use ghee if you’d like, or swap it out for 2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil if you can’t do dairy.
Garlic: Fresh garlic brings an abundance of enticing flavor to foil packet dinners, especially when paired with butter! Increase or decrease the amount of garlic cloves depending on your personal taste.
Lemon Zest & Lemon Juice: Adding a burst of citrus flavor, lemon juice and lemon zest create an incredible flavor combination with the butter and garlic.
Dried Parsley, Red Pepper Flakes, Sea Salt, and Black Pepper: The only seasonings I use for this simple recipe are red pepper flakes, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. You can change this up using anything you love, such as lemon pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, Cajun spices, and more.
- Make shrimp boil foil packets (also known as Cajun shrimp foil packets) by adding andouille sausage, red potatoes, old bay seasoning or Cajun seasoning, and corn for a complete meal.
- Chop up some red onion and/or bell peppers and toss them in for added flavor.
- Serve with lemon wedges and more melted butter for dipping if you’d like.
- Add in any quick-cooking fresh vegetables you like, such as zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, etc.
- If you have fresh herbs on hand such as fresh parsley or cilantro, feel free to add them in.
You can double, triple or quadruple this recipe by using multiple foil sheets in the event you’re serving a lot of people. The whole family is bound to love this impressive, easy recipe. Make it for meal prep or on any busy weeknight for a delicious dinner.
let’s make it!
How to Make Lemon Garlic Foil Packet Shrimp on the Grill:
Preheat your grill to high heat and get out one or several pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Either a charcoal grill or a gas grill will work!
Peel and de-vein your raw shrimp if they aren’t already. Place the shrimp in the center of a long sheet of foil. Add the butter, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, dried parsley, and red pepper flakes (if you’re okay with some heat).
Fold the foil into a packet and place packet on the preheated grill over indirect heat. Replace the cover and grill until shrimp are cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
How to Bake Shrimp in Foil Packets:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Get out one or several long sheets of foil and lay them on a baking sheet.
Lay a long sheet of foil on a baking sheet, and place all ingredients in the center of the foil packet.
Fold the foil into a packet and leave shrimp packets on the baking sheet.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Store any leftover shrimp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
And there we have it! A delicious healthy shrimp recipe that is perfect easy meal with easy clean up for healthy eating on any weeknight or even any camping trip!
Now that we’re familiar with the basics, we can make all sorts of foil packet recipes!
Looking for side dishes to enjoy alongside this easy foil recipe? Here are my top picks.
Serve the shrimp as is for an appetizer, or serve with crostini and goat cheese or brie cheese. You can use the shrimp in quesadillas, on pizza, in pasta, burritos, tacos, you name it! You can also serve them with your favorite side dishes.
Enjoy shrimp foil packs the next time you’re craving a healthy meal with easy clean-up!
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Mediterranean Shrimp Skillet
- Indian Shrimp Biryani
- Orange Ginger Shrimp Stir Fry
- Dairy-Free Paleo Shrimp Chowder
- Shrimp Taco Salad
Grill foil packets in the summer time or anytime throughout the year!
Lemon Garlic Foil Packet Shrimp
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 4 Tbsp butter or ghee
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Peel and de-vein your raw shrimp if they aren’t already. Place the shrimp in the center of a long sheet of foil. Add the butter, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, dried parsley, and red pepper flakes (if you’re okay with some heat).
- Fold the foil into a packet and place on the preheated grill. Replace the cover and grill 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the foil packet and continue grilling until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place on a baking sheet or cutting board. When cool enough to handle, open the foil packet and give everything a big stir. Serve shrimp with choice of side dishes or cocktail sauce.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
I originally shared this recipe July 3, 2019. I updated the photos and added more information but the recipe itself remains the same.