Nothing to see here, folks…just your favorite rice drink with a shot (or several) of liquor. A cocktail that happens to be lightened up, not too sweet, not too frilly…
BIG DEAL ALERT!
You guys, I had an Ego Check on Aisle 3 the other day. LITRALLY as I was walking through the grocery store. Okay, it may have been aisle 7…I don’t recall the aisle number, but that’s neither here nor there.
As I was pitter pattering around the grocery, tra la la, mid-ego stroke, thinking to myself I’m such a GUH-eeeeen-ious for adding alcohol to horchata, I happened upon a ginormous RumChata display.
Not only did the visual make me realize I’m not the first and last person on the planet to add alcohol to horchata, but it made me go, “Dude, why didn’t I think of rum?”
Perhaps tequila? Why not tequila? Definitely not tequila, tequila makes you a crazy person… no one likes a crazy person… everyone likes crazy people… where are my keys? I’ve lost my phone… tequila makes her clothes fall off…
Perhaps we should stick with the bourbon.
Point is, horchata cocktails are apeeerently a thang, and if you ask me, virtually any liquor will work.
Even vodka. Why not vodka? Definitely vodka to get yourself a little Horchata Russian action all up in your Big Lebowski.
I swear, I’m not drunk.
Do you remember when I showed you my exceedingly untraditional approach to Horchata a while back? The easy-to-make horchata that doesn’t require you to wait overnight for your rice to soak? The same horchata that happens to be dairy-free and sweetened with pure maple syrup? Yup! That’s the one!
I added booze to it in order to make a suuupah fresh and swanky cocktail for us to share on Cinco de Mayo.
I look forward to Cinco de Mayo every year because Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines. Any meat, any cheese, any salsa, all the refried beans, just lay it on me thick and spicy! And while we’re at it: some bebidas frescas to go along with our lenga flautas, carne asada con pico de gallo con queso fresco con ay ay ay caramba!
What’s food without drink and what’s a burrito without an horchata?
If you’re cooking in for CDM this year and are looking for some healthy (or healthier-ish) Mexican-inspired menu items, try these on for size!:
- Quinoa, Beet, and Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Quinoa and Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Chile Colorado Tacos
- Roasted Vegetable Tacos with Cumin Cashew Crema
- Shrimp and Avocado Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Seared Ahi Tacos with Mango and Avocado Salsa
- Crock Pot Carnitas Tacos with Red Chili Salsa
- Roasted Vegetable Stacked Enchiladas
- Chili Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Southwest Black Bean, Corn, and Avocado Salsa
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Guacamole and Bacon
- Shredded Chicken Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowls
…and warsh it all down with a chilled glass of boozy horchata!
Naturally Sweetened Horchata Cocktails
- 1 cup homemade horchata 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup bourbon 4 ounces
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Fill a shaker with ice and add the horchata, bourbon and maple syrup. Shake well and serve with a dash of ground cinnamon!