Haven’t you heard? It’s Taco Wednesday, and we’re making ours in the slow cooker!
I don’t mean to brag, but…
Chile colorado tacos. With chicken instead of beef. Made in the crock pot. With gobs of guac.
I love them about as much as I love this song.
I love them 987,678,906∞ times more than I love shopping for health insurance.
I used the Chile Colorado Sauce I showed you yesterday in order to make these tacos. All I did was dump the sauce in my crock pot with some boneless skinless chicken breasts and set the dang thing on low for a few hours. Then I toasted up some corn ‘tillas, mushed up some guacamole, and the rest is between me and the taco.
You can do this exact same thing with beef…or lamb…or pork. Throw the meat into the crock, cover it in sauce, and it will come out nice and tender and full of chile colorado flavor. You can even saute up some shrimp, toss some sauce into the frying pan, and slam bam – shrimp colorado tacos! Point is, you have options. And since you have all that sauce that’s begging to be used up, you may as well taco to your heart’s delight.
Because Wednesdays are for tacos.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Chile Colorado Sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Cooked quinoa or brown rice
- Red onion, chopped
Prepare the Shredded Chicken:
- Add half of the chile colorado sauce to the bottom of your crock pot. Add the boneless skinless chicken breasts and cover with remaining sauce. Secure the lid and cook on low for 3 to 5 hours (or high for 2 to 3).
- Remove chicken breasts from the crock pot and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Place shredded chicken back in the crock pot for at least 15 minutes to allow it to absorb more sauce. Test the chicken for flavor - add sea salt if desired.
Prepare the Tacos:
- Heat the corn tortillas on a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy (you can also heat them in the microwave or oven).
- Load up tortillas with desired amount of shredded chicken chile colorado (use the remaining sauce in the crock pot for drizzling), cooked quinoa or rice, your favorite guacamole, and chopped onion.
- Put on your taco bib and go to town!
You can make a large batch of chicken by using 2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts and 4 cups of chile colorado sauce
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g