Seared Ahi Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa are light and refreshing yet a satisfying healthy taco recipe
These Seared Ahi Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa are a magnificent fusion of Japanese sushi and Mexican fare.
They are the best of both the raw world and the perfectly seared world.
Life is so full of options. Do I go this way? Do I go that way?
Is there a route out there that I’ve never even heard of? Which way gets me there quicker?
How satisfied will I be when I get there?
Is it about the journey or the destination? Which way do I go? Options can be overwhelming.
This is why we sear things. It’s the best of all worlds.
Seared Ahi Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa make a mighty fine meal. Not only are these tacos fresh and easy, but from start to finish, they require no more than 20 minutes to fashion up.
Searing ahi is the best way to eat ahi in my opinion.
You get the flavor crisp on the outside and the fish stays tender.
I find cooking ahi through can be a bit tricky. It’s lean, which means there is little fat to keep it moist, resulting in a firmer fish when fully cooked.
Mango avocado salsa is a staple in my heart and home. It happens weekly, typically on girl’s night. In fact, my friends are looking at this post like, “ohhh, mango avacadah salsaaaaaa…how unpredictable, Julia.” <- – – they don’t have a Bostonian accent.
We just talk at each other like this.
So, this salsa. It’s a real flavor-maker.
When I’m lazy, it’s feeding time, and/or there’s wine in my glass, you can bet this mango avocado salsa is what’s sealing the meal deal together.
As in, we’re eating salsa on spring greens. And that is all.
Truth: this isn’t a new-to-you recipe, as I posted Seared Ahi Tacos with Pineapple Salsa two years ago.
Nevertheless, every once in a while, you need a little refresher. As in, every once in a while, I need to spoon-feed myself mango avocado salsa whilst I get a little sear on.
Sear your ahi and have the best of both worlds.
For the Ahi:
- 2 tablespoons to 3 grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 pound sushi-grade ahi steak
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the Mango Avocado Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
For the Tacos:
- Corn tortillas
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Fresh lime
To Prepare the Salsa:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir together to combine
To Sear the Ahi:
- In a medium-sized cast iron skillet, heat the oil to medium-high. Sprinkle the ahi steaks with kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
- Carefully place the ahi steaks on the skillet and sear until crispy and the ahi is cooked about ¼” inch up the steak. Repeat for the other side.
- Place the ahi steaks on a cutting board and once cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to cut the steaks.
- Heat the corn tortillas in the cast iron skillet. Place them on a plate and load them up with desired amount of ahi and mango avocado salsa.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Taco
Amount Per Serving Calories 228Total Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 16gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 20g