Fish en papillote (cod in parchment paper) with arugula pepita sauce is a fresh, flavorful low-carb dinner recipe! This easy meal is paleo, whole30, keto, and so quick and easy to prepare!
It’s the return of fish en papillote!
If you’ve been around a hot minute, you’re familiar with my Mediterranean Salmon in Parchment Paper, Lemon Dill Cod in Parchment Paper with Capers, Citrus Ginger Turmeric Salmon in Parchment Paper, or my Pesto Salmon in Parchment Paper.
If you’re new here, the main bullet point is: fish and seafood in parchment paper a winning meal makes!
It literally takes minutes to put together and results in the most flavorful, perfectly cooked fish.
For this rendition, we’re going with cod with a fresh n funky sauce made with basil, arugula, avocado, coconut aminos, and roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas). Does it sound strange? It’s basically pesto without the parmesan and garlic…plus the coconut aminos.
The sauce is sex. Just trust me on this one!
Let’s make it!
How to Make Cod in Parchment Paper:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Begin by preparing the sauce. To do so, add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until desired texture is reached…I make mine pretty smooth.
Lay the cod fillet on the parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt, spoon on a generous amount of sauce, and smooth it over the fillet until the whole thing is well-coated.
Fold the parchment paper over the cod, creating a packet. If needed, use twine to tie the ends together so that the packet remains closed. I’ve found the packet stays nice and snug as long as I crease the paper like a gift.
Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
Serve with your favorite side dishes and an extra drizzle of sauce!
- If you have the time, marinate the fish in the sauce for 15 minutes to 8 hours ahead of time.
- Use your favorite fish! Tilapia, salmon, and/or halibut work great.
- Running low on time? Swap the sauce for your favorite store-bought or homemade pesto sauce.
- Use arugula only or basil only for the sauce
- Substitute regular liquid aminos or tamari for the coconut aminos
- Add 1 clove of garlic to the sauce if you don’t follow a Low-FODMAP diet.
- Spicy Kale Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic
- German-Style Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions and Chives
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Spinach and Grapes
- Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad with Maple-Orange Dressing
- Orange Ginger Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Celery Root and Carrots with Parsley and Dill
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this Fish en Papillote, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
- 1 1/2 lbs cod or fish of choice
Arugula Pepita Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until desired texture is reached...I make mine pretty smooth.
- Lay the cod fillet on the parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt, spoon on a generous amount of sauce, and smooth it over the fillet until the whole thing is well-coated.
- Fold the parchment paper over the cod, creating a packet. If needed, use twine to tie the ends together so that the packet remains closed.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked through. Serve with your favorite side dishes and an extra drizzle of sauce!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 472Total Fat 21gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 21gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 45g