Flourless Chocolate Black Bean Banana Bread made with everyone’s favorite magical fruit! Naturally sweetened, gluten-free, grain-free, moist and fluffy!
If you’ve been following along my site for a number of years, you may be familiar with my classic bean-infused dessert recipes. Just take for instance, my Black Bean Brownies, Vegan Garbanzo Bean Blondies, Dark Chocolate Chickpea Brownies or my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chickpea Bars. My mouth is watering just typing the words.
Suffice it to say, we are not strangers to treats made with the magical fruit.
I had it in my head for many moons to develop a Black Bean Banana Bread recipe, and finally got around to actioning it. The end result? Ultra moist, fluffy, AMAZING chocolate-y rich banana bread that you’d never in a zillion years guess is made with black beans.
Because I have a ton of dry black beans in my pantry, I cooked a big batch and used 1 and ¾ cup in this recipe. You can easily use a 15-ounce can of black beans (or garbanzo beans) instead!
My favorite part about this black bean banana bread, aside from the fact that it’s a melt-in-your-face depiction of wildly delicious dreams, is that the batter comes together in seconds in the blender. It’s just so easy to prepare!
Some Recipe Highlights:
- Refined Sugar-Free
- Chocolatey, moist, rich, delicious!
How about we cut right to it??
How to Make Chocolate Black Bean Banana Bread:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9” x 5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
Drain and rinse the black beans of any liquid and pat them dry with a paper towel (they don’t need to be perfectly dry, just not overly saturated). Whether you’re using a can of black beans or beans that you cooked from dry, simply dump them into a colander and rinse with cold water in the sink, then give them a once over with a paper towel.
Transfer the black beans to a blender along with the rest of the ingredients (except chocolate chips) and blend until smooth.
If adding chocolate chips, stir them into the batter.
Transfer the batter to the parchment-lined loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the bread feels firm when gently poked in the center.
Allow bread to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Use garbanzo beans instead of black beans.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract if desired.
- If you have instant espresso or instant coffee, add 1 tablespoon! It makes the bread richer in flavor.
- Replace the coconut sugar with granulated cane sugar or brown sugar.
- Add white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips to change up the flavor.
- Although I suspect you can replace the chicken eggs with flax “eggs” to make the recipe vegan, I haven’t had a chance to test it yet. If you try it, please leave a comment and let us know how it works out!
- Sprinkle bread with unsweetened shredded coconut if desired.
- Add ⅔ cup chopped walnuts or pecans for nutty texture.
Can I Use Dry Black Beans Instead of Canned?:
Yes! In fact, that’s what I did. Simply cook a batch of dry black beans and measure out 1 ¾ cups. I make my Instant Pot Black Beans using just black beans and water (omitting the oil, onion, jalapeno, seasonings, etc).
More Delicious Gluten-Free Quick Bread Recipes:
- The Best Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe
- Paleo Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Paleo Cranberry Orange Bread
- Paleo Morning Glory Quick Bread
Get your bean bread on!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9” x 5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the black beans of any liquid and pat them dry with a paper towel (they don’t need to be perfectly dry, just not overly saturated).
- Transfer the black beans to a blender along with the rest of the ingredients (except chocolate chips) and blend until smooth. If adding chocolate chips, stir them into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment-lined loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the bread feels firm when gently poked in the center.
- Allow bread to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition facts calculated without chocolate chips
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 of 9
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 10g