Vegan garbanzo bean blondies (a.k.a. chocolate chip cookie bars) that are grain-free, refined sugar-free, and egg-free. These melt-in-your-mouth blondies are not only delicious, but serve as a healthier dessert!
If you’ve been around this site a while, you know I’m no stranger to making dessert out of beans. My Black Bean Brownies, Dark Chocolate Chickpea Brownies, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies have created quite the ruckus round these parts.
WELL, it’s the return of the bean blondie, and this time, we’re whipping up a chocolate chip cookie bar situation using garbanzo beans (chickpeas), cashew butter, pure maple syrup and vegan chocolate chips to create the ultimate gooey melt-in-your-mouth fest.
I made two batches of these bars – one for my visiting nieces and nephews and one for my household. They were given all the thumbs up by everyone who tried them!
These garbanzo bean blondies are…
- Super chewy and gooey.
- Refined sugar-free
- Quick and easy to prepare
All you do to prepare this straight-forward recipe is blend everything (except the chocolate chunks) in a blender…it couldn’t be easier!
How to Make Garbanzo Bean Blondies:
Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking pan (use a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan for thick bars, or an 8″ x 8″ cake pan for thinner bars) with parchment paper.
Open a can of garbanzo beans and pour it into a colander to drain all the liquid. Add the beans and all remaining ingredients except for the chocolate to a high-powered blender.
Blend on high until the mixture is very thick and completely smooth.
Fold in the vegan chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate bar.
Transfer the mixture to the parchment-lined baking pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake 25 to 40 minutes, or until the blondies are set up. If you’re baking in an 8″ x 8″ pan, you’re looking at 25 to 30 minutes, and if you’re using a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan, bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Sprinkle the blondies with coarse sea salt and allow them to cool 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Replace the chickpeas with white beans (aka great northern or cannelini beans).
- Make the recipe oil-free by replacing the coconut oil with more cashew butter or full-fat coconut milk.
- Replace the vegan chocolate chips with a vegan dark chocolate bar – all chopped up
- Use white chocolate chips, and/or add chopped nuts.
More Blondie Recipes:
- Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Blondies
- Grain-Free Tahini Blondies
- Paleo Strawberry Almond Butter Blondies
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
When life gives you beans, make blondies! ..Annnnd GO!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make these Garbanzo Bean Blondies, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Garbanzo Bean Blondies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line an 8" x 8" baking pan or 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients for the bars to a blender except for the chocolate. Blend until completely smooth. Stir the chocolate chips/chunks into the batter
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 25 to 45 minutes depending on which size pan you used - for an 8" x 8" pan, bake 25 to 35 and for a 9" x 5" loaf pan, bake 35 to 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and allow blondies to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving (if you slice before the blondies cool, they will fall apart easily).