Mashed chickpea sandwiches with hummus spread, avocado, red onion, mixed greens, and tomato make for a delicious well-balanced plant-based lunch.
This post is sponsored by Sabra. All opinions are my own, and I thank you for supporting the brands that help make this site possible.
When was the last time you sandwiched? With whom, where, why, and most importantly, was it good for you?
True story: the man of my life space eats a sandwich every single day, whereas I’m more of a pack-it-with-and-take-it-to-go for hikes and day trips out in the wild wild woods kind of sandwich eater.
The man of my life space? Total mayonnaise monger.
Me? Won’t touch the stuff with a 10-foot pole.
Because I fly mayo-free, I’ve had to come up with ways of keeping the spark alive.
For me, some sort of spread or sauce is essential for a.) holding the sandwich together, b.) adding spunk and flavor, and c.) ensuring the bread doesn’t taste dry and stick to the roof of my mouth.
Which brings me to my next point…
Spoiler alert: hummus lovers, this is going to blow your mind!
Mashed chickpea sandwiches with HUMMUS! Kinda like tuna salad but with chickpeas instead of tuna and hummus instead of mayo.
It’s quick, it’s easy, it’s loaded with flavor, it’s BIG on nutrition!
How to Make Mashed Chickpea Sandwiches:
For these mashed chickpea sandwiches, I simply combined a can of garbanzo beans with a few tablespoons of store-bought garlic hummus. You can adjust the amount up for more delicious hummus flavor!
I then toasted up some bread, smeared more spread on each piece, then loaded up a sammie with the mashed chickpea concoction, avocado, tomato, mixed greens, and red onion.
The end result – a protein-packed, nutritious lunch. The way I see it, you can double or triple the mashed chickpea “recipe” so that you can bring this sandwich to work multiple times during the week.
Enjoy these easy no-cook sandwiches!
More Sandwich Recipes:
- Mashed Avocado Finger Sandwiches
- Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Herby Avocado Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Turkey Pesto Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- The Ultimate Garden Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
Hummus Mashed Chickpea Sandwiches
Hummus Mashed Chickpea Sandwich Filling:
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 to 6 Tbsp hummus to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 6 slices to 8 gluten-free bread toasted
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato sliced
- 2 handfuls mixed greens or spinach
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
Prepare Mashed Chickpeas:
- Add the ingredients for the mashed chickpeas to a bowl. Mash using a sturdy fork or potato masher until mixture reaches desired consistency. Taste the mixture for flavor and add sea salt and/or more hummus to taste.
Prepare the Sandwiches:
- Toast 6 to 8 slices of whole grain or gluten-free bread and spread desired amount of Sabra’s Garlic Herb spread over each piece. Layer the greens, avocado, red onion, tomato and mashed chickpeas over half of the slices of toasted bread, and top with the remaining slices. Cut sandwiches in half, serve, and enjoy!