Grain-free, gluten-free refined sugar-free almond flour pancakes. This easy and delicious paleo pancake recipe is sure to please the whole family!
These almond flour pancakes have been a staple in my household since circa 2011. They’re light, fluffy, moist, and (do I daresay) indistinguishable from pancakes made with all-purpose flour. You’ll just have to taste them to believe it!
I have included a recipe video here to show you the process of making these grain-free almond flour pancakes from start to finish. Check out the video and get the full recipe at the end of this post!
After years of cooking and baking grain-free, I’ve found the combination of almond flour and tapioca flour yields an incredible texture that very closely mimics wheat flour. The fact that almond flour is so versatile and has a great nutrient profile makes it one of my kitchen staples.
Almond flour pancakes are a weekly event in my household. Grain-Free and paleo friendly, these pancakes only require a few basic ingredients. They’re perfect for sharing with friends and family who have dietary restrictions and are a safe bet for entertaining for brunch.
I like to make the pancake batter in my blender but you can also mix it together in a mixing bowl. The blender approach is simply a low-fuss and minimal cleanup method, but it’s certainly not required!
How to Make Almond Flour Pancakes:
Simply add your ingredients to your blender and blend just until the batter is smooth.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and add a generous amount of coconut oil to fully coat the surface.
Measure out a scant ¼ cup of batter and pour it on the hot skillet. Allow the batter to cook a couple of minutes, until you can tell the pancakes are setting up.
Carefully flip the pancakes and cook them on the other side for another minute or two, until they’re cooked through. Repeat this process for the remaining batter.
This recipe turns out with such amazing texture, even pancake aficionados won’t be able to tell they’re grain-free.
Tips for Preparing These Paleo Pancakes:
- Because these pancakes are made from a nut meal, the flavor and texture are both nutty, so aren’t quite as soft as a pancake made with all-purpose flour. I made a note in the recipe that you can add a couple tablespoons of tapioca flour if you’d like. While you don’t have to use tapioca flour to make this recipe work, it does help bind the pancakes and also makes them a bit lighter and fluffier.
- For those of you who have trouble getting the pancakes to flip without breaking, I’d recommend adding tapioca flour. It isn’t a necessary ingredient but does step up the pancake game just a bit. Tapioca flour is still considered paleo-friendly, so if you follow a grain-free, paleo or primal diet, it doesn’t pose a problem.
- Replace the unsweetened almond milk with cashew milk, walnut milk, coconut milk, or any of your favorite non-dairy milks.
- You can substitute the almond flour for hazelnut flour with a 1:1 ratio if you’d like.
- If your pancake batter is very watery, add more almond flour or tapioca flour until it thickens. Various brands have different grinds of almond meals/flours, which may result in various consistencies. If you make this recipe using a meal/flour that is not this exact brand, you may end up with varied results. You can also use a small amount (1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon) of coconut flour to help thicken the batter as well.
- I love topping the pancakes with sliced banana, blueberries, chopped roasted almonds, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup, but you can get creative with your toppings.
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out, and thank you for your support!
If you make these Almond Flour Pancakes, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
More Healthy Grain-Free Pancake Recipes:
- Coconut Flour Zucchini Pancakes
- Lemon Coconut Flour Pancakes for Two
- Paleo Avocado Pancakes
- Paleo Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Paleo Gingerbread Pancakes
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Paleo Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Crispy Cinnamon Swirl Paleo Pancakes
Almond Flour Pancakes
Fluffy paleo almond flour pancakes made grain-free and dairy-free. This easy goof-proof recipe yields the perfect stack of pancakes!
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend just until smooth (note: you can prepare these pancakes in a mixing bowl using a whisk or hand mixer if you don't own a blender).
Heat a large skillet just above medium heat and add just enough oil to lightly coat the pan.
Measure out ¼ cup of batter and pour into the skillet.
Cook until the sides of the pancakes firm up and a bubble or two escapes from the top, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Carefully flip the pancakes (these are a little more fragile than wheat flour pancakes), cook an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute then repeat with remaining batter.
*While you don't have to use tapioca flour to make this recipe work, it does help bind the pancakes and also makes them a bit lighter and fluffier. It isn't a necessary ingredient but does step up the pancake game just a bit 🙂
If your batter is very watery, add more almond flour until it thickens. You can also use a small about (1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon) of coconut flour to help thicken the batter as well.