A healthy and fresh Garden Vegetable Sandwich with cucumber, carrot, sunflower greens, roasted sweet potato, strawberries, and herbed goat cheese. A delicious and healthy go-to sandwich for lunch!
Warning: side effects may include:
- Intense taste bud satisfaction
- Increased mental focus and physical strength
- Internal mind, body, soul connectedness
- Digestive happiness
- Really great skin
- Overall good juju
Proceed with caution.
Or should I say, proceed with fanaticism.
The Inspiration For This Recipe:
As I mentioned a couple of days ago in my Paleo Sandwich Bread post, I’ve been rekindling my sandwich flame now that I have my bread avenue all figured out.
I’ve been on a years’-long sandwich hiatus, primarily because all’s I needed was some sandwich inspiration. Homemade grain-free paleo bread will be that for you.
I had all sorts of vegetables in my refrigerator that happened to fit together nicely for a garden vegetable sandwich.
So I grated, sliced, chopped them up, mashed a sweet potato I had already roasted, and laid it on thick over some herbed goat cheese-smeared bread.
While all of the veggies I employed went down with ease, you can use whatever you have on hand to mix it up in your own rainbow bright veggie-packed sandwich.
Things like spinach, tomato, hummus, and/or turkey deli meat, peanut butter, potato chips (<- just making sure you’re still listening…reading… Are you? Bueller?) would be great additions/substitutions.
Ingredients for This Garden Vegetable Sandwich:
Let me ask you this: Is it weird that I put strawberries in this sandwich?
Can we even handle this situation? This is one of those times you’ll just have to inject all that faith and trust in me. They work, I do solemnly swear it.
Let’s face it: the herbed goat cheese is the real deal maker here.
Because I’m no fan of mayo, I use various cheeses and spreads to spruce up my sandwiches and make them un-dry.
Things like hummus, guacamole (or just mashed avocado), whole grain mustard, homemade aioli, and tzatziki, are my favorites.
Or just straight-up melted pepper jack, because: HELLO melty cheese is mouth-watering.
I took some plain jane goat cheese and combined it with a variety of fresh and dried herbs to bring some earthy flavor to this garden vegetable fest.
You can switch up your herb selections to your heart’s delight. No matter how you slice it, you’ll end up with a super healthy, vitamin-packed sandwich – perfect to bring to work for lunch!
Also try out my Pear Apple Cheddar Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Bagel Sandwich and my Roasted Eggplant Pesto Sandwich.
Garden Vegetable Sandwich time!
The Ultimate Garden Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
- 1 small sweet potato roasted (or steamed) and mashed
- ½ medium cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup ripe strawberries sliced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 2 ounces sunflower greens*
- 4 slices sandwich bread
Herbed Goat Cheese:
- 4 ounces goat chevre
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 teasppons fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the herbed goat cheese. refrigerate until ready to use.
- Steam a small sweet potato until cooked through, about 30 minutes, or until very soft when poked with a fork. Allow sweet potato to cool before peeling it and mashing it.
- Toast sandwich bread in a toaster or toaster oven. Spread desired amount of herbed goat cheese on all four pieces or bread (Note: save remaining goat cheese for future sandwiches or appetizers).
- Layer two of the pieces of bread with mashed sweet potato, cucumber, shredded carrot, strawberries, and sunflower greens. Serve and enjoy.