Deciding on what to eat for lunch is a daily conundrum for me.
Do salad for the umpteenth day in a row?
Am I feeling bloated and in need of a superfood anti-inflammatory smoothie?
Do I dare eat gluten-free cake or brownie batter from a recipe I’m testing?
But when the hankering for a fresh n’ messy sandwich arises, the answer is clear. The turkey, pesto, avocado combination is always so amazing.
Nothing revolutionary, but you guys it’s so magically delicious I can hardly justify eating any other sandwich. Unless it’s made out of Fruit Loops, in which case, a heated internal debate would ensue.
When under a time crunch, a store-bought pesto is always bangarang.
Now for the cheese discussion. I used Havarti, but you can also go provolone, mozzarella, or even aged white cheddar. Smoked gouda? Any or all of the cheeses? Get on with your bad self!
I used Udi’s Gluten-Free Rye style bread, which has a subtle yet oh-so-inviting rye flavor, and makes a fantastic sandwich bread.
I like that the bread slices are small so I can resist the temptation to over-eat and stuff myself silly on the healthy sandwich situation.
When it comes to sandwiching goods, I like my bread to have a nice crisp on the outside, so I’m all about the pre-toast and cheese melt.
I don’t own a toaster, so I just stick the bread under the oven broiler for about 1.5 minutes until it’s nice and golden-brown. I then flip the bread over, add the slices of cheese, and put it back under the broiler until melted. BOOM! Crisp.
Sinking your teeth into this beautiful mess is a dreamscape. Don’t skimp on the cheese nor the pesto, you hear?!
- 2 slices Gluten-Free Bread
- 2 slices havarti cheese
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto sauce
- 3 slices turkey deli meat
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Turn the oven on the high broil setting (or turn on the toaster oven if you have one)
- Place bread on a baking sheet and lace baking sheet on the top rack in the oven. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the bread is golden-brown and crispy.
- Remove bread from oven, flip it over, and add cheese slices to each piece. Place sheet back in the oven and heat until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread pesto sauce over each piece of bread, then layer with turkey and avocado. Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving Calories 610Total Fat 41gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 37gFiber 9gSugar 5gProtein 31g