Zucchini and yellow squash soup with bell pepper, cannellini beans, and more! A healthy vegan soup recipe packed with flavor! This easy soup recipe comes together in 30 minutes or less.
One of my favorite parts about making vegetable soup is how very versatile it is. Virtually anything you have on hand can be tossed in!
Fresh produce, beans, grains…even pasta of all kinds can be added! Leftover chicken? No problem. In it goes!
When the weather is chilly or I simply feel like a big comforting bowl of soup, I toss together this squash soup recipe. It’s just so satisfying!
For this edition of veggie bliss, I made a squash-centric soup using zucchini and yellow squash and added bell pepper, onion, cannellini beans, dried herbs, and diced tomatoes. The end result is a flavorful, filling meal that leaves you feeling energized and satisfied.
This is a great way of using up an abundance of summer produce for a light meal in the summer months. The best part is all the ingredients can be found at any grocery store if you don’t already have them on hand.
The way I see it, this easy recipe is perfect for meal prep because you can store it in individual portions in jars or meal prep containers and bring it to work with you for lunches. It is the perfect recipe for using up summer veggies and getting in a plethora of nutrients and lots of flavor at the same time.
Let’s discuss the simple ingredient list for this easy meal.
Ingredients for Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup:
Red Bell Pepper
Dried Rosemary, Dried Parsley, Paprika
Sea Salt and Pepper
Looking for ways you can customize this yellow squash soup recipe? Here are some ideas.
- Incorporate your favorite vegetables – cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, sweet potatoes, and celery are great!
- Replace cannellini beans with black beans, kidney beans, white beans, or garbanzo beans.
- Add protein – bacon, chicken, and shrimp are marvelous!
- Omit the diced tomatoes if you don’t have any on hand.
- Use chicken broth or chicken stock instead of vegetable broth.
- If you have fresh herbs like fresh parsley, oregano, or rosemary on hand, feel free to add them in.
- Lovers of creamy vegetable soups, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of heavy cream or full-fat canned coconut milk and use an immersion blender to blend everything together.
- Replace the dried herbs with Italian seasoning. You can also replace the cloves of garlic with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if you’d like.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a little kick.
Now that we’ve covered the simple ingredients, let’s make this delicious recipe.
How to Make Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup:
Add the avocado oil and onion to a large pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the chopped red bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to sauté until the pepper is fragrant and the onion begins turning brown, another 2 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the chopped zucchini, yellow squash, rosemary, parsley and paprika to the pot and sauté 2 more minutes.
Add the drained and rinsed cannellini beans, diced tomatoes including the juices, and vegetable stock. Cover the pot and bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low heat and cook until zucchini is soft but not falling apart, about 5 to 15 minutes.
Taste soup and add salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve with rustic crusty bread. If you have parmesan cheese on hand, grate some up over the soup just before eating. You can also drizzle the soup with fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil or a dollop of sour cream if you’d like.
Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
And that’s it! The next time you’re craving delicious soup and have some zucchini and yellow summer squash on hand, this is the perfect way to quench that craving for fresh vegetable soup!
If you love healthy recipes like this summer squash soup, check out these summer soup recipes.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup
- Immunity Boosting Turmeric Soup with Vegetables
- Vegan Butternut Squash Bisque
- Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup
- Rustic Minestrone Soup with Rice and Kale
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Stew
Enjoy the best zucchini soup recipe during the summer months and winter months alike!
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium zucchini squash chopped
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth 4 cups
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste
- Add avocado oil and onion to a large pot and heat over medium. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the chopped red bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to sauté until the pepper is fragrant and the onion begins turning brown, another 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped zucchini, yellow squash, rosemary, parsley and paprika. Sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and cook until zucchini is soft but not falling apart, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste soup and add salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve with rustic, delicious bread.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.