Wild Rice Chicken Soup with vegetables is a hearty, healthy soup recipe that just hits the spot every time! Make a big pot of it for the whole family to enjoy or for meal prep.
The very first food I always crave when I have the sniffles or feel under the weather is this wild rice chicken soup.
The simple, fresh ingredients digest easily and taste so inviting that my body just can’t help but love it!
In addition to my Immunity-Boosting Chicken Soup, which is amazing for cold and flu season, this simple chicken wild rice soup recipe boasts familiar flavors everyone can enjoy.
So let’s dive into this nourishing soup recipe!
Ingredients for Wild Rice Soup:
Avocado oil (or olive oil), onion, carrots, celery, wild rice blend, chicken breasts (or chicken thighs), spinach, chicken broth (or chicken stock or chicken bone broth), garlic, dried oregano, dried rosemary, salt and black pepper.
These are my preferred ingredients for a classic chicken soup recipe. You can mix up the vegetables and seasonings to your heart’s delight.
For thicker broth, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of gluten free all purpose flour or regular all-purpose flour.
Feel free to add broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, kale, white beans or black beans, etc. You can also use Italian seasoning or add red pepper flakes for a little heat.
If you’re looking for a creamy soup, make my Creamy Rosemary Chicken Soup with Rice https://www.theroastedroot.net/creamy-rosemary-chicken-soup-with-rice/
Now that we’ve covered the simple ingredients list, let’s make it!
How to Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
Heat the avocado oil in a large pot (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften.
Stir in the carrots, celery, wild rice and garlic.
Pour the chicken broth into the pot, then cover and bring everything to a full-boil.
Add the chopped chicken breast, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook at a gentle boil until rice has cooked through, about 35 to 40 minutes.
The slower and longer the cooking time, the more flavorful the soup will be.
Stir in the baby spinach and continue cooking for a couple of minutes until it has fully wilted.
Serve wild rice chicken soup in big bowls with Gluten-Free Cornbread, crusty bread, or Gluten-Free Bacon Cheddar Biscuits and enjoy!
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This delicious soup is even better the next day! If you have the forethought, make it at least one day before you’re planning on serving it.
For a pressure cooker chicken soup recipe, try my Instant Pot Chicken Soup With Rice. For a slow cooker chicken soup recipe, make my Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup.
- Add one cup of heavy cream or full-fat canned coconut milk plus 3 tablespoons of gluten free all purpose flour for a thick and creamy chicken wild rice soup.
- Swap brown rice or white rice for the wild rice mix if you have it on hand.
- If you have fresh herbs, like fresh parsley, oregano, rosemary, or marjoram, feel free to add them to the soup.
- Use rotisserie chicken, leftover shredded chicken, or leftover chicken breast instead of raw chicken if you’d like.
For someone who has a massive appetite (like me), this recipe serves two hungry individuals. If you eat normal portions of food, the recipe serves four people.
You can easily double or triple the recipe depending on how many people you’re feeding and how much leftovers you want. I love using this as a meal prep recipe to enjoy throughout the busy workweek.
If you love easy, filling soup recipes, check out these gems from the soup archives!
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Rustic Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Ground Turkey Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Vegetable Coconut Curry Soup
- Best Steak Chili Recipe
This hearty wild rice soup is so lovely on a cold day and makes for a satisfying complete meal.
Enjoy this feel-good meal the next time you’re craving healthy comfort food that is equally satisfying and easy to make!
Wild Rice Chicken Soup
Hearty wild rice chicken soup with vegetables is the ultimate comfort food! Whether you're feeling under the weather or simply love a classic chicken soup recipe, you'll surely enjoy this delicious meal.
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalls celery, chopped
- ½ cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large chicken breast, chopped (10-14 oz)
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt, to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach, optional.
1. Heat the avocado oil in a large pot (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften.
2. Stir in the carrots, celery, wild rice and garlic.
3. Pour the chicken broth into the pot, then cover and bring everything to a full-boil.
4. Add the chopped chicken breast, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook at a gentle boil until rice has cooked through, about 35 to 40 minutes. The slower and longer the cooking time, the more flavorful the soup will be.
5. Stir in the baby spinach and continue cooking for a couple of minutes until it has fully wilted.
6. Serve wild rice chicken soup in big bowls and enjoy!
*I use chicken bone broth. Vegetable stock and beef broth work too.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Serving (of 4)
Amount Per Serving Calories 268Total Fat 6gCarbohydrates 28gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 19g
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.