Put your pagers on vibrate and hold onto your satchels, because you’re about to go alllll afternoon delight. Over a salad. A salad of roots and skyrockets in flight.
Roasted root vegetables all thyme-ed up on the spinach boat with hunks of feta and balsamic-date vinaigrette. It’s something to talk about, Bonnie Raitt. True Story. You just ate 3 pounds of vegetables. How? #thissalad.
When was the last time you had a root in your oven?
This is how 3 pounds of veggies get taken down: You lather up your roots with oil, thyme, salt and pepper. You then spread them on a baking sheet, roast them at four hundo and glue yourself to the oven for approx. 40 to 45 (which is exactly enough time for one episode of Private Practice or between 8 and 9 Macarenas. But not both, never both) until your roots are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.
The root vegetables will c0me out all toasty, noodling notes on your heart strings. Prepare for your heart strings to get noodled.
This salad is a tear-jerking, catamaran-tipping, upside-the-head slapping, hootinist tootinist rootinist bobtailed wildest cat in the west, Yoooooooooooosemite Sam! Roots: ravaged. Feelings: uncorked. Remorse: less.
Can we talk about the balsamic-date salad dressing for a second? Sluuuuurp! That’s all I needed to say.
Are you out of peanut butter? This salad dressing is a perfectly acceptable replacement for all of your spoon-to-mouth needs.
My motto’s always been when it’s right, it’s right.
Recipe adapted from Aida Mollenkamp’s Roasted Root Salad Recipe with Balsamic-Date Dressing.
For the Salad:
- 1 pieces medium turnip, peeled and chopped into 1.5” pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1.5” pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1.5” pieces
- 2 boiling onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 handful fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
For the Balsamic Date Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 8 large dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
To Prepare the Balsamic-Date Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients for the vinaigrette to a small blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to use.
To Prepare the Roasted Root Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the roots into 1.5-inch pieces. Toss them with the grapeseed oil, fresh thyme, salt, and black pepper. Spread the veggies on a baking sheet (or two).
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring twice, or until crispy and golden-brown. Allow vegetables to cool.
To Prepare the Salad:
- Add spinach to a large salad bowl and add in the roasted vegetables and feta. Toss with desired amount of balsamic-date dressing.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Need more roots in your oven? Try these on for size: