Double chocolate zucchini muffins made grain-free, refined sugar-free, and dairy-free. These paleo healthy gluten-free zucchini muffins are perfectly sweet, fluffy, and moist.
Oh hey, zucchini season!
I have to admit, I eat an exorbitant amount of zucchini. I put it in Zucchini Herb Sausage Breakfast Casserole, Vegan Red Curry Zucchini Noodle Bowls, my Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Rice and so, so much more.
The sweet application of zucchini has always been a favorite of mine, too. I’m obsessed with these Paleo Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins and Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread, BUT NOW, these double chocolate zucchini muffins are really whetting my whistle.
Case in point: zucchini, zucchini, zucchini.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe, aside from the fact that it yields super rich muffins is that they don’t turn out overly sweet.
I like my muffins to be muffin-like rather than to taste like cupcakes. If you like a sweeter muffin, do feel free to add some coconut sugar or a zero-sugar sweetener like stevia, xylitol or erythritol.
How to Make Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
There are a couple of ways you can make the batter for these muffins.
Option 1: Mix together the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir together the dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl. Combine forces by pouring the wet into the dry and stirring well. Fill up the muffin tray with the batter, bake, and enjoy.
Option 2: Toss all ingredients except for the zucchini and chocolate chips into a blender. Blend until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini, then fill up your muffin cups and bake.
Regardless of the approach you take to preparing the batter, may I recommend that you sprinkle with coarse sea salt? I love the chocolate-salt combo, as I feel it really enhances the flavor and palatability!
- For cakier muffins, add 2 Tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Add 3 Tbsp Coconut sugar or a couple drops of liquid stevia to make these muffins sweeter.
- I use stevia sweetened chocolate chips to keep these muffins lower on the glycemic index, but you can use any chocolate chip or chunk you like.
- Replace the almond flour with hazelnut flour.
Zucchini muffins all around!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make these Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tray with muffin papers.
- Whisk the eggs, pure maple syrup, and zucchini together in a mixing bowl (wet ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry mixture and stir well until well-combined.
- Pour muffin batter into the muffin tray, filling the holes 3/4 of the way up. Bake on the center rack of the oven 18 to 22 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Allow muffins to cool at least 30 minutes before peeling and eating.