Life-Changing Hummus and Avocado Toast with feta, pistachios, tomatoes and onion. Fresh ingredients come together in an incredibly flavorful avocado toast, perfect for adding to your breakfast or enjoying as a snack. You’ll just have to try it to experience the incredible blend of flavors and textures!
Just when you thought avocado toast was a thing of the past…
This Life-Changing Hummus and Avocado Toast sauntered in.
I’ll be the first to admit I tend to roll my eyes when it comes to anything trendy, including the avocado toast trend, but this particular avocado toast recipe is absolutely outrageous.
I humbly put my judgment to the side and implore you to make it.
We have both hummus and creamy avocado, zingy onion, juicy tomatoes, tangy feta, and crunchy pistachios to formulate the absolute perfect bite.
If you’re an overachiever, you can make my Creamy Roasted Garlic Hummus rather than using store-bought.
This unbelievably tasty avocado toast recipe was inspired by a local cafe here in Reno.
My husband and I go to Walden’s almost every weekend for breakfast. We both order our own separate breakfasts (which are enormous and delicious) and often share the avocado toast. What you’re seeing here is a near replica of that toast.
Our first experience with the avocado toast was so mind-blowing that we can’t help but order it almost every time we’re there.
You would think we’re all in it for the bread, but truthfully the real MVP is the toppings. For this reason, feel free to use your favorite crusty bread, homemade bread, or store-bought sliced whole grain bread to make this toast. The bread itself is almost inconsequential.
In fact, I just use plain ol’ sliced gluten-free bread and love the way it turns out.
Let’s dive into the details of the ingredients for avocado toast.
Ingredients for Hummus Avocado Toast:
Bread: What is the best bread for avocado toast? Use any type of good bread you love for toast. I use gluten-free sliced bread but any type of white bread, sourdough bread, multi-grain bread, etc. will work. Whole grain toast or whole wheat bread are great options.
Hummus: Choose your favorite store-bought or homemade hummus. I stick with a classic hummus with no frills, but feel free to mix it up with different flavors. I love that the hummus brings a lovely buttery texture to the toast.
Ripe Avocados: Pick up a fresh perfectly ripe avocado from the grocery store that is just the right level of ripeness. A good avocado will feel soft to the touch, but not squishy. If your avocados are rock solid, place them in a brown paper bag on the counter top until they soften up.
Cherry Tomatoes: Little cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes or plum tomatoes) provide an amazing pop of juicy flavor.
Red Onion: Fresh finely chopped red onion brings a big zing of flavor and a nice texture element.
Feta Cheese: Tangy feta cheese levels up the whole experience by inserting a creamy, salty element.
Pistachios: Shelled pistachios (pistachios that come without the shell) get chopped up and sprinkled on top of the avocado toast for an amazing crunch and nutty flavor. Trust me, the pistachios are a real game changer so don’t skip them!
Salt and Black Pepper: Add flaky sea salt and pepper to your personal preference. I add salt to the mashed avocado and sprinkle the avocado toast with pepper.
All of these ingredients combined make the best avocado toast recipe! We get rich and creamy flavors, fresh and vibrant pops and bursts of juiciness and also crunch to go along with the perfectly toasted bread.
While I do recommend following this basic recipe to a T for the best results, here are different ways you can change up this simple avocado toast with your favorite toppings.
- Drizzle the avocado with lemon juice or hot sauce for a little acidic tang.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, everything bagel seasoning, and/or lime juice.
- If you’re into cream cheese but not humus, feel free to make the replacement.
- Swap out the feta cheese for goat cheese.
- If you have fresh herbs on hand like fresh basil, feel free to chop them up finely and mix them in with the mashed avocado.
- Serve it up with a drizzle of olive oil and/or a fried egg, sunny side up egg, or hard-boiled egg for a next level avocado egg toast.
- Add some creamy ricotta in addition to or in place of the hummus.
- Throw in some additional fresh veggies like sauteed spinach or grated carrots.
Now that we’re familiar with the delicious toppings, let’s make some life-changing avocado toast!
How to Make Avocado Toast:
Mash the avocado in a small bowl until it’s nice and creamy and sprinkle it with a pinch of salt. Set the smashed avocado aside until ready to use.
Finely chop the tomatoes, red onion and pistachios on a cutting board.
Toast the bread according to your desired level of crisp. I like a deep golden brown finish for a lovely crunch.
Spread the hummus over each toasted slice of bread. I use one tablespoon of hummus per slice of bread because my slices are small, but increase the amount if you’re using large slices of bread.
Spread half of the creamy avocado spread on top of the hummus layer.
Sprinkle chopped tomatoes, red onion, pistachios, and feta cheese on top of your avocado toast. Add some black pepper on top of the toast if you please.
Enjoy this amazing avocado toast!
This recipe makes two slices of perfect avocado toast, but feel free to increase the quantities if you’re serving friends and family.
And that’s it! An avocado toast that’s so delicious it’s worthy of its own blog post.
If you like toast recipes like this, also try my Roasted Asparagus and Tomato Toasts with Mustard Aioli and my Huevos Rancheros Hummus Toast.
Make it for breakfast to go alongside an egg scramble, or as a snack or light meal!
Hummus Avocado Toast
This Life-Changing Hummus Avocado Toast is everything you want in a perfect bite! Crispy toast combined with creamy hummus and smashed avocado pairs beautifully with zingy red onion, tangy feta, juicy tomatoes, and crunchy pistachios! Make it for breakfast or snack!
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 to 4 Tbsp hummus*
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- 4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp shelled pistachios, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Mash the avocado in a small bowl until it’s nice and creamy and sprinkle it with a pinch of salt. Set the smashed avocado aside until ready to use.
2. Finely chop the tomatoes, red onion and pistachios on a cutting board.
3. Toast the bread according to your desired level of crisp. I like a deep golden brown finish for a lovely crunch.
4. Spread the hummus over each toasted slice of bread. I use one tablespoon of hummus per slice of bread because my slices are small, but increase the amount if you’re using large slices of bread.
5. Spread half of the creamy avocado spread on top of the hummus layer. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes, red onion, pistachios, and feta cheese on top of your avocado toast. Add some black pepper on top of the toast if you please.
6. Enjoy this amazing avocado toast!
*The amount of hummus used will depend on the size of the bread. For smaller slices of gluten-free bread, you will only need one tablespoon per slice.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 Slice (of 2)
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 8mgSodium 305mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 11gSugar 2gProtein 7g
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.