Grain-free muffins with fresh apricots and ricotta cheese, made with coconut flour, tapioca flour, coconut oil, and sweetened with honey made for a luscious, healthy breakfast or snack. A simple recipe for all your muffin-ing needs
Oy! Have you ever put ricotta in a muffin?
Luscious. That’s what these muffins are in a word. As it turns out, just like yogurt, buttermilk, or mascarpone, ricotta adds a little something special to baked goods. Richness? Depth of flavor? Moisture? Whatever it is, ricotta’s got it going ON!
It dawned on me not too long ago, that apricots have been very understated on this site…in the sense that this is only the second recipe I’ve posted involving the adorable little stone fruit (the first being that Matcha Chia Seed Pudding and Apricot Smoothie Parfaits I showed you last week). Since I had a handful of apricots leftover from developing that recipe, as well as some ricotta was hanging in my fridge, I figured I would try my hand at the ricotta muffin.
You’uns. Ricotta muffins are blissful.
The fact that I loved the way these muffins turned out PLUS they served as the overflow parking lot for ingredients leftover from freelance projects just made them that much sweeter.
You can even get creative with these muffins, using whatever fresh fruit you have on-hand such as peaches, strawberries, blueberries, plums, etc. Sky’s the limit. You can also replace the ricotta cheese with buttermilk, plain yogurt, or full-fat coconut milk.
Apricot-studded moist, grain-free muffs with the perfect amount of sweet have been my favorite snack as of late. I’ve been the Two Muffins a Day Plan, which so far has been working out with flying colors. They’re fabulous tiders for between-meal snack, and they’re so easy to sink your teeth into for dessert as well.
I’m heading over to Portland today to meet my dear friends at Bob’s Red Mill, along with several other bloggers! I can’t wait to see everyone in person and get the grand tour of the mill. Follow along on Instagram to view my Portland adventures!
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese*
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh apricots, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a 12-hole muffin tray
- Add all of the ingredients for the muffins to a blender, except for the chopped apricots. Blend until well-combined. Note: the batter will be very thick and somewhat crumbly - this is normal.
- Fold the chopped apricots into the muffin batter and scoop it into the muffin holes, patting it down gently, and filling each hole 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 22 to 24 minutes, until muffins test clean when poked with a toothpick.
- Allow muffins to cool at least 20 minutes before running a knife along the edges of the muffin holes to release the muffins. Serve with ricotta cheese and fresh apricots and a drizzle of honey.
*I used part skim ricotta - you can also use whole milk ricotta.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g