Flourless Avocado Brownies are an easy grain-free, refined sugar-free paleo dessert recipe. The brownie batter is made easily in your food processor and only requires a handful of basic ingredients.
This avocado brownie recipe post includes two versions – one using almond butter, and one using coconut flour for a nut-free version.
Just when you thought I was finished posting dessert recipes using avocado….
In walked these flourless avocado brownies.
These sultry lumps of avocado lovin’ are so easy to make and are a marvelous healthier treat. They are soft and chewy with an epic fudgey goo factor (if you add the chocolate chips).
The ingredients needed to prepare these brownies are straight-forward!
One ripe avocado, eggs, almond butter, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking powder, and chocolate chips (optional…but mandatory).
I know what you’re wondering, and no, you can’t taste the avocado or the almond butter. They don’t have the an identical flavor and texture to regular brownies, but they are sure to please!
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to prepare! (whiz it up in a food processor or blender)
- Ultra gooey (just add chocolate chips!)
- Includes healthy fat
How to Make Flourless Avocado Brownies:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” cake pan with parchment paper.
Add all ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a food processor. Process until completely smooth. You may need to stop the food processor and scrape the sides a couple times using a rubber spatula.
Stir the chocolate chips into the batter until well combined.
Transfer the brownie batter to the lined baking pan and smooth into an even layer.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes, until brownies have set up.
Remove brownies from the oven and allow them to cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Avocado Brownies with Coconut Flour:
If you eat nut-free, here is a version using coconut flour. Note that making the avocado brownie batter is the same process, but the baking steps are different.
Ingredients for Coconut Flour Avocado Brownies:
- ¾ cup mashed avocado (2 avocados)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor (except for chocolate chips, if adding) and process until completely smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips (if adding).
- Transfer the brownie batter to the prepared loaf pan and spread into an even layer. Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, until top has set up, forms cracks and has reached desired done-ness (for ultra fudgy brownies, err on the 20 minute side).
- Allow brownies to cool completely before pulling the parchment paper out of the loaf pan and transferring to a cutting board. Cut and serve!
- Make a nut-free version using coconut flour by following the recipe above.
- Replace almond butter with peanut butter, cashew butter, or nutella.
- Omit the chocolate chips for a lower sugar brownie.
- Make recipe vegan by replacing the eggs with two flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax seed + 6 Tbsp water. Stir together in a bowl and allow mixture to sit 10 minutes, or until thick and gooey).
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans.
- If you use regular cane sugar, replace the coconut sugar with dark brown sugar.
- Add a couple scoops of protein powder if that’s your jam.
Whatcha gonna do with your ripe avocados?
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Avocado Brownies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” cake pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a food processor. Process until completely smooth. You may need to stop the food processor and scrape the sides a couple times using a rubber spatula. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter until well combined.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the lined baking pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes, until brownies have set up.
- Remove brownies from the oven and allow them to cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.