A note about this soup: It’s simple, makes a HUGE batch (so feel free to scale it down) and it’s just the ticket if you’re like me and are still reconciling your three bowls of ice cream and six beers from the weekend.
There is no cream or milk in the soup, which makes it very acidic. In order to cut the acid, you can add sugar but as an alternative, I added baking soda. The rule of thumb is about ¼ teaspoon baking soda per 6 tomatoes to cut acid. Just for your knowledge.
Recipe Adapted from Jovial Food’s Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag me at @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 ounces fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1.5 teaspoons dried basil)
- 3 28- ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, including juices/puree
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- sea salt, I added no salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until browned, about 10 to 12 minutes
- Add the garlic and sauté another 3 minutes
- While onion and garlic are sautéing, open your canned tomatoes and dice the whole tomatoes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and juices/tomato puree to the pot with the sauteed onion and garlic.
- Add the vegetable stock, chopped basil and butter. Stir until butter is melted and incorporated.
- Add the baking soda. This will cause the soup to bubble up quite a bit, so make sure your pot is big enough to hold a little momentary soup fizz. The bubbles/fizz will die down after a few seconds of stirring.
- Bring pot to a full boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Optional: You can blend part or all of this soup for a smoother consistency, though I like it chunky.
- Serve with grated parmesan on top. Seriously. It’s the bomb!
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1 of 10
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 19gProtein 5g