A silky-smooth creamy tomato basil soup that’s dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan! This easy soup is prepared with all whole food, healthful ingredients for a satisfying meal.
What is our relationship with soup these days? While it’s rare for me to sit down to a soup-as-a-meal situation (unless, of course, it’s chili…duh), I’m all about that cup of soup to go alongside my meal. Like a little soup appy, you feel?
A good classic creamy tomato basil soup is always a winner for me, but traditional recipes are filled with heavy cream (or half & half), sugar, and sometimes wheat, all of which I avoid whenever possible, because they create an instant inflammatory response in my body, and I don’t digest them well.
I whipped up this cleaner version of tomato soup, creating a comforting soup that’s still creamy in texture and big in flavor. I’ve seen many vegan tomato soup recipes calling for raw cashews, but I had an ah-ha moment when I opened my freezer to find I had a bag of raw macadamia nuts – it dawned on me the mac nut would probably be savage in a creamy soup. Raw cashews are definitely a tried and true method, but as it turns out, raw macadamia nuts work just as well!
The way this thing shakes out is quick and simple. Soak the macadamia nuts (I soaked mine for about 1 hour, but 20 minutes’ll do you just as well), saute the veggies, blend every last ingredient in a high-powered blender. From there, you can heat the soup and serve it piping hot, or chill is and serve it cold. Just be sure to enjoy it with a slice of toasted gluten-free sandwich bread, or your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.
This recipe was originally posted on Wolf Gourmet’s blog – check it out here: Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
Dairy-free creamy tomato soup made vegan is incredibly comforting and delicious!
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts, soaked at least 3 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 24-ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- hemp hearts
- macadamia nuts, toasted
- Heat the olive oil in a small (8-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté, stirring frequently, until veggies have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a blender, along with the remaining soup ingredients. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soup is completely creamy.
- Serve soup with a sprinkle of hemp hearts, chopped green onion, fresh basil, toasted chopped macadamia nuts, and your favorite toasted bread.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 23gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 15gSugar 6gProtein 5g
Wednesday 28th of June 2017
This was the best soup I have had in a long time. It was simple to make, and the garnishes really took it over the top. I would eat this again in a heartbeat. Thanks for a great recipe!
Thursday 29th of June 2017
I'm so glad you liked it, Vivian!! Thanks so much for your feedback! xo
Tuesday 13th of June 2017
I'm having a very intimate/good terms relationship with soup right now so BRING.IT.ON. Plus tomatoes are just starting to come into their own for the season - PERFECT TIMING!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
Wednesday 7th of June 2017
The weather has been so rainy and gross here that it's making me crave soup big time! Combine that with tomatoes coming available at the farmers market and you've provided the answer to all of my prayers. I bet the macadamia nuts make it extra luxurious too!
Abby @ Heart of a Baker
Tuesday 6th of June 2017
Ohh gimmie a big ol' bowl of this goodness!