Teriyaki Beef and Vegetable Skillet made in less than 30 minutes! This flavorful, nutritious meal comes together lightning quick and will please even the pickiest eaters. Make it as a meal prep recipe to enjoy throughout the week, or serve to friends and family.
It’s the return of the skillet!
If you have been following along my blog, or if you watch my Instagram stories, you know this is the exact type of meal I make every single day (often for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!).
Skillet. Animal Protein. Veggies. Baddabingbaddaboom NOURISHMENT!
Toss a heaping pile of it in a bowl with some steamed brown rice and you’re looking at the object of my affection.
For this rendition of Julia’s everyday eats, I browned up some ground beef, through in some veggies and my homemade Paleo Teriyaki Sauce, and then drooled all over myself while enjoying it.
It’s so crazy simple, so easy to adapt using various proteins and vegetables, and so nourishing for your body.
My pro tip for making this skillet in under 30 minutes? Chop as you go. While you can chop all of the vegetables ahead of time before you start cooking, I like adding mine in at various times depending on their hardiness.
For instance, I add anything hearty like carrots, followed by less hearty vegetables, like broccoli and zucchini. This way, all of the vegetables turn out with just the right done-ness.
So to do this, the hearty veggies get chopped first and tossed in with the meat (if you’re adding onion and garlic, add them here!)
While those are cooking, I chop the less hearty vegetables and toss them in.
The skillet gets covered and everything cooks until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables have reached your preference for doneness.
If you like snappy vegetables, you can toss everything in together and cook for 3 to 5 minutes and see where that lands you. I like mine al dente.
Let’s dive into the specifics!
How to Make Teriyaki Beef Skillet with Vegetables:
If you’re using my Paleo Teriyaki Sauce, prepare it ahead of time and set aside (or refrigerate until ready to use).
Heat a large skillet to medium-high and place the ground beef in the center. Without chopping it, allow it to brown for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and brown an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Use a spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces.
Add the onion and garlic and stir (omit the onion and garlic for low-FODMAP).
While the beef and onion are cooking, chop the bell pepper and carrot. Add the chopped bell pepper and carrot to the skillet, stir, and cover with a lid. Allow skillet to cook for 3 to 5 minutes while you chop the zucchini and broccoli.
Add the zucchini and broccoli, stir and cover. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables have reached desired done-ness.
Add the teriyaki sauce and allow mixture to come to a full boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened. Add sea salt to taste, and serve!
Now that you have this basic formula, use it for any of your skillet needs. Here are some ways you can change up this meal to never get sick of it.
- Make the recipe Low-FODMAP by using store-bought or homemade Low-FODMAP Teriyaki Sauce.
- Buy paleo-friendly teriyaki sauce from the store or online instead of making it homemade.
- Use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef. If you’re using a lower-fat protein, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet before you start cooking to avoid stickage and to add flavor.
- Add in your favorite vegetables! Consider yellow squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, bok choy, cauliflower, radishes, etc.
- Add fresh or dried herbs, and/or your favorite spice blends
- Add red, green, or yellow curry paste and/or coconut milk for some Thai flavors! I would start with 2 tablespoons of paste and 1 cup of coconut milk and adjust from there to taste.
- Serve with brown rice, white rice, vegetable rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, basil fried rice, coconut rice, zucchini noodles, you name it.
My skillet recipes are my favorites on this site! Here are some..
More Skillet Recipes:
- Mexican Vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato Skillet
- Ground Turkey Butternut Squash Skillet with Rainbow Chard
- Zucchini and Ground Turkey Skillet
- One-Skillet Ground Turkey Thai Curry with Rice
- 30-Minute Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
30-Minute Teriyaki Beef Skillet with Vegetables
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high and place the ground beef in the center. Without chopping it, allow it to brown for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and brown an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and carrot to the skillet, stir, and cover with a lid. Allow skillet to cook for 3 to 5 minutes while you chop the zucchini and broccoli.
- Transfer in the zucchini and broccoli, stir and cover. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables have reached desired done-ness.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and allow mixture to come to a full boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened. Add sea salt to taste, and serve!