You know when you spill your frothy milk coffee all over your lap and cloth interior while you stall your car at 5:30 am on the way to the spin class you’re already late to and all you want to do is undo because you just know how things are going to smell in one hour?
There are stinky things in life, ‘tis true. It’s kind of a bummer that Tomagotchis will never again be hooked to our belt loops. Not in any color, not any day. No matter how much you want to feed an electronic critter whose sole purpose is to poop and die.
In spite of your desperation for there to be a Hey Dude comeback, you’ll have to settle for Glee…what the crap is that, anyway?? Stinkety stank.
Yeah….this recipe is not at all like any of that, though…
While much of the Thai peanut sauce I showed you took a direct route from the blender to my mouth via spoon, I did resist the peanutty temptation long enough to drench my vegetables with it.
The key to a good vegetable stir fry is using heat-resistant oil such as grapeseed oil or coconut oil and keeping watch on the vegetables so that they come out just right and not over-cooked. Plus having a wonderful sauce like Thai peanut sauce to drizzle on top is a major plus.
This meal came together likety split over the weekend after errands and a trail run. It was one of those recipes that you peevishly chop and feverishly sauté with the look of El Diablo on your face and once it’s ready, you unclench your fists, loosen the iron grip on your wooden spoon and realize how quick and easy the whole thing was. Sayonara, El Diablo Hunger solved. Relaxation. Food. Peanut sauce!
So here you are: a perfect vegetable side dish or entre for your busy work week. I served the veggie stir fry on top of brown rice, and you can also add shrimp or chicken for extra protein. It’s cost effective and requires minimal time and effort. It’ll be piping hot on your plate before you can say kalamazooooo!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2.5 cups green beans, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 8- ounce can water chestnuts, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Peanut Sauce plus more for serving
- 3 cups to 4 cooked brown rice for serving
- In a wok or large sauté pan, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat until it begins to sweat and turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots, red bell pepper, green beans, and 3 tablespoons of thai peanut sauce. Cover and allow vegetables to cook until al dente, stirring every couple of minutes. This process should take about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash and water chestnuts and continue cooking (covered) until squash has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve stir fry vegetables over a heaping portion of brown rice with desired amount of Thai peanut sauce!
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 g
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g