While I cook, I like to visualize all the steps it took for the ingredients to get to my door stoop. The seeds that grow, the water and soil that feed and nurture, the hands that harvest, the transportation from farm to store to home, and finally, the tools that create finished product out of raw material. Even simple recipes, like this butternut squash and yam curry, have a back story.
In my head, the process is likely far more romantic than the reality. The way my story goes, each vegetable was handpicked by someone in love, because let’s face it: produce picked with love trumps produce picked with anger any damn day.
And the spices. The way it goes in my fantastical story, each spice is grown in a remote, exotic place where the only way in or out is via elephant or blue whale ride. Each sowed, harvested, dried, transported with…you guessed it…love. And in this way, I can transfer all the lovey dovey goodness into my food. This is what I think about while I am cooking. Sometimes.
Sometimes I think about Snoop Dogg.
Seasonal fall vegetables stewed in an aromatic coconut milk sauce? I can’t think of anything more comforting!
This butternut squash and yam curry hits all the bases – it’s fairly quick and easy to prepare, comes with all sorts of carby deliciousness, is packed with flavor, and is perfect as a meal prep recipe or for serving the whole family.
- Add your favorite animal protein if you aren’t vegan – chicken and shrimp are great!
- Add 1 or 2 cans of garbanzo beans for some plant-based protein
You May Also Love:
- Vegan Red Curry Zucchini Noodle Bowls
- 30-Minute Thai Green Curry with Avocado
- 30-Minute Summer Vegetable Red Curry
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this Butternut Squash and Yam Curry, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large jewel yam, chopped into ½” cubes (4 cups)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ½” cubes (6 cups)
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat canned coconut milk*
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Rice for serving
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil to medium.
- Add the onion and sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, yam, and grated ginger. Stir and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices, and sauté another 3 minutes before adding the coconut milk and broth. Stir to incorporate everything together.
- Cover and bring it to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking until vegetables are cooked through, stirring periodically.
- If serving the curry with rice, prepare the rice while the curry is cooking.
- Serve with chopped basil, mint, or cilantro, and a dollop of plain yogurt.
You can replace the vegetable broth with chicken broth if you aren't vegan
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g