A creamy, dreamy, fresh and delicious take on your morning porridge, this Steel Cut Oatmeal with Yogurt, Peaches, and Chia Seeds is palate pleasing and so nourishing!
Anyone else feel an Enya-like sense of peace during the transition from summer to fall? We begin taking our snuggies out of the closet as the nights become cool. Crock pots come out of the pantry and live on the counter top.
People are less feisty, teenagers are less noisy…TV becomes good again (this is an uneducated guess considering I haven’t had cable in like…17 years) ::sigh:: the month of September will henceforth be called, Enya.
My favorite part about the month of Enya: the weather is cool enough to eat hot food again but summer produce is still available.
We’re nearing the tail-end of peach season, which is by far my favorite season. Ripe drippy peaches plus oatmeal is a thing of beauty.
Saturday began with a pot of coffee and steel cut oatmeal with yogurt, pure maple syrup, walnuts, chia seeds, and the ripest, most drippy peach California has ever seen.
Remember when I posted the Coconut Chia Seed Pudding recipe, how I was all wonky megalomaniacal about it and was going all sappy Sally over chia seeds?
I’ve been experimenting with uses for my chia pets and have decided they are fabulous on oatmeal. High in omega 3’s, fun poppy texture…chia pets are the coolest pets ever…unless you have a real pet, in which case, real pets trump food pets every time.
Between last week’s Carrot Ginger Smoothie post where you learned just how much of a granola muncher I am, and today’s post in which I have touted the good name of Enya more times than a Bone Thugs N Harmony song, you’re starting to see my true colors shining through (don’t pretend like what I just said makes sense…some things are better left nonsensical).
Let your month of Enya be a steel cut oats month. Let it be full of chia seeds and ripe drippy peaches, snuggies, and TV shows that I’ve never heard of. Let your belly be comforted and your soul be…Enya-ified. Let’s do this. Let’s eat food.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe peach, chopped
- ¼ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup*
- ¼ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Plain yogurt
- Pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- Full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring 1 cup of steel cut oats, 2 cups of water, and 1 cup of full-fat canned coconut milk to a full boil (watch carefully or else the pot will boil over!). Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed and oatmeal reaches desired texture.
- Add the sea salt, vanilla extract, chopped peach, and maple syrup to the oatmeal and stir well.
- When ready to serve, pour oatmeal into bowls and divide the chopped walnuts and chia seeds among the bowls. Serve with desired amount of plain yogurt, pure maple syrup, and milk of choice to taste.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g