Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are incredibly easy to make! All you need is a few basic ingredients and a large sheet pan to make this meal happen. The chicken turns out amazingly tender with a nice crisp and the peppers and onions are loaded with flavor!
Turn it into tacos, burritos, or burrito bowls for a delicious fiesta for your mouth!
When my boyfriend and I are craving burrito bowls or tacos but we’re feeling decidedly lazy, we go to a carniceria in our area and buy pre-marinated chicken and beef. And of course plenty of guacamole and salsa to go with.
We then just heat up the marinated meats in skillets and make our tacos or burrito bowls with the premade guac, salsa, rice, cheese, and/or any additional add ins we desire.
Recently, I had a craving for said carniceria experience but figured I’d try my hand at it at home.
So I decided to do a little make-ahead fajita prep by marinating chicken thighs, bell pepper, and onion in oil and seasonings. It turned out very similarly and required hardly any effort!
After marinating everything in a large zip lock bag, I simply poured it all out on a sheet pan and baked it. You can easily do this same marinating trick but cook everything in a skillet if you prefer!
The way I see it, this is an amazing meal prep recipe, as you can make it in bulk and have everything marinating for up to 2 days in advance. OR you can make a smaller batch and cook everything right then and there.
I do recommend marinating everything for 1 hour for the best result, and you can absolutely marinate overnight as well.
Chicken Fajitas Ingredients:
Chicken Thighs: For optimal flavor and texture, I use boneless chicken thighs. The fat content ensures the chicken turns out so nice and moist without a ton of added effort. If you prefer chicken breasts for a leaner option, feel free to make the swap. Just not that the chicken will be a bit drier and not as tender, but making sure you marinate everything for 8 to 24 hours should mitigate that.
Onion: adding bright zippy flavor, onion is both incredible when it is cooked and also transfers over a great deal of flavor to the chicken while it’s marinating. You can also add 3 to 5 cloves of garlic if you like it!
Bell Peppers: That ingredient that makes a fajita a fajita! Red and green bell peppers are customary in fajitas but you can select your favorite colors. They add that peppery essence without any heat so folks who aren’t into spicy food can still enjoy these fajitas!
Avocado Oil: used for flavor and lubrication, avocado oil is amazing for marinating all types of meat. It has a neutral flavor so the flavor of the ingredients shine through, and it is marvelous for cooking at high temperatures.
Chili Powder & Sea Salt: In order to BLAST that chicken
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas:
Add the chopped chicken, onion, and bell peppers to a large mixing bowl along with the avocado oil, chili powder and sea salt. Use your hands to toss everything together until it is all well-coated in oil and seasoning.
Transfer everything to a large zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 24.
When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the fajita mixture over a large baking sheet into an even layer.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and has a nice brown crisp on it.
Serve chicken fajitas with tortillas or use it in burritos or burrito bowls. Make a batch of my Homemade Spanish Rice for serving!
- Add 3 to 5 cloves of garlic or 2 teaspoons of garlic powder for extra garlic power.
- Replace the chicken with steak.
- For spicier fajitas, add 1 to 2 chopped jalapenos and/or hot sauce to the chicken marinade.
- Make your own chili powder blend using paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, and dried oregano.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Carnitas Enchiladas
- Fish Tacos with Orange Salsa
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Chile Verde Burrito Bowls
- Crock Pot Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers (colors of choice), cut into match sticks
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Add the chopped chicken, onion, and bell peppers to a large mixing bowl along with the avocado oil, chili powder and sea salt. Use your hands to toss everything together until it is all well-coated in oil and seasoning.
- Transfer everything to a large zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 24.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the fajita mixture over a large baking sheet into an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and has a nice brown crisp on it.
- Serve chicken fajitas with tortillas or use it in burritos or burrito bowls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 2gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gProtein: 30g