Grilled chicken tacos with mango salsa, cabbage slaw, and chipotle sour cream. This fresh and vibrant take on tacos is sure to win you over!
Tacos! Are you in, or are you out!
I have to be honest, I’ve never known a single person who was just meh about tacos. I feel like everybody loves tacos…is this correct?
If you are someone or know someone who isn’t taco obsessed, but all means, show yourself!
There’s no judgement here, I just need to know if said individuals exist.
Truly. In the name of research.
I’m so aggressively into tacos that each time I make a new taco recipe, I think to myself, “This is the best taco I’ve ever had.” But how can you really know that?
Perhaps one day I will line up every taco I’ve ever consumed and do a taste test. You wanna join? In the name of research?
GUYS. I want to say those words…you know they’re coming…I think this is the best taco I’ve ever had.
Or, rather the best grilled chicken taco with mango salsa, cabbage slaw, and chipotle sour cream I’ve ever had.
The grilled chicken is perfectly flavored and has that crispy-char-smoky effect, while the mango salsa has that sweet-spicy-yet-cooling effect, where the cabbage slaw adds mega crunch and the chipotle sour cream adds flavor and heat and cream.
Say it with me: Best grilled chicken taco with mango salsa, cabbage slaw, and chipotle sour cream ever.
As you can see, this is a multi-component taco.
First, we have the grilled chicken, then we have a chipotle sour cream, cabbage slaw, and mango salsa.
You can absolutely toss some avocado and cilantro into the mix depending on your taco preferences.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Tacos:
Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour (up to 8) in this beautiful tequila and spice marinade. Fire up the grill, grill it off, then allow the chicken to rest 10 minutes before cutting into it. For the photos, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but my all-time preference is chicken thighs. Know you have options when selecting your chicken pieces.
Preparing the mango salsa, cabbage slaw, and chipotle sour cream is as easy as 1-2-3..you simply stir the ingredients for each in a mixing bowl and baddbing baddaboom you’re done with your condiments!
If you so desire, you can serve all of these components over rice to make a taco bowl situation, or serve over lettuce for a taco salad. We have options, people! You can also replace the mango with fruit of choice – I have made this exact salsa with pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries…go wild with fruit salsa!
How to Meal Prep Chicken Tacos:
- Marinate the chicken up to 8 hours ahead of time, and grill the chicken up to 3 days in advance
- Prepare the mango salsa up to 4 days in advance
- Prepare the cabbage slaw up to 4 days in advance
- Prepare the chipotle sour cream up to 4 days in advance.
More Taco Recipes:
- Green Chile Chicken Tacos with Mexican Street Corn
- Crispy Avocado Breakfast Tacos
- Spiced Ground Beef Tacos with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- Fish Tacos with Orange Salsa
Enjoy your mound of taco goodness!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
For the Chicken
For the Mango Salsa:
- 2 mangos peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic optional
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 3 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- corn or flour tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
Prepare the Chicken:
- Add all ingredients for the chicken to a zip lock bag and shake well to combine. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour, up to 10.
- When you're ready to grill the chicken, preheat your grill to a medium-high setting. Place the chicken breasts on the preheated grill and grill 3 minutes, until dark grill marks appear. Flip and grill another 3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (the internal temperature should reach 160 degrees F, and the chicken should feel firm when poked).
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow it to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Make the Mango Salsa:
- Add all ingredients for the salsa to a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Cabbage Slaw
- Add ingredients for the slaw to a mixing bowl. Use your hands to massage the lime juice into the cabbage until the cabbage turns a brighter purple, about 2 to 3 minutes. This process helps break down the fibers in the cabbage and makes it easier to chew. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Chipotle Sour Cream
- Add ingredients for the chipotle sour cream to a small bowl and stir until well-combined. Taste for flavor and add more sea salt and/or chopped chipotle chilis to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Tacos
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave or on the stove top. Smear each tortilla with desired amount of chipotle sour cream, then top with cabbage slaw, sliced grilled chicken, and mango salsa. Serve with sliced avocado and cilantro if desired.