Grain-free paleo chocolate shortbread cookies. These gluten-free vegan shortbread cookies are dipped in chocolate for a double chocolate experience!
I had it in my head that I was only going to post a couple holiday treat recipes this year, but lo and behold, I’ve been very much enjoying the process of making warmly-spiced concoctions.
In order to avoid being the sole consumer of said treats, I’ve been bringing them to my friends and family to share the joy.
You know what they say…
If you’re a fan of either shortbread or chocolate, this one’s really going to tickle you pink!
I whipped up a grain-free (paleo) chocolate shortbread then dipped it in a dairy-free chocolate concoction to bring you some double chocolatey fun. All in all, this recipe is:
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
- Delicate, flaky, and buttery on the inside and rich and chocolaty on the outside
- Perfectly sweet
Because the chocolate shortbread itself is not very sweet, I highly recommend not skipping the chocolate shell. It not only holds the shortbread together nicely, but it gives the cookie an added richness, creaminess, and sweetness.
If you haven’t made one of my shortbread recipes before, just beware to follow the instructions closely. Grain-free shortbread can be a bit crumbly unless you give it the proper resting time and handle it with care.
Shortbread does require a little more TLC than say your typical Soft Chewy Gooey Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies, but it is so worth the patience!
- Replace almond flour with hazelnut flour.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of raw cacao powder.
- If you want to get real wild and crazy, you can drizzle these shortbread cookies with melted white chocolate (assuming you’re okay with some cane sugar) to give them a fun and festive look.
- While the chocolate is drying, sprinkle the cookies with chopped nuts or crystallized ginger for added texture and flavor.
- Love a little chocolate-peppermint action? Add 1 tsp peppermint extract to the shortbread, and ¼ tsp peppermint extract to the chocolate shell.
Double your chocolate, double your fun!
Paleo Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
For the Chocolate Shortbread:
Make the Shortbread:
- Add all ingredients for the shortbread to a stand mixer or a mixing bowl. Beat until a dough forms. Note: it's okay if the mixture is crumbly - this is normal.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and use your hands to form it into a large ball. Work the dough into a cylinder. I use the plastic wrap to help keep the cylinder intact while shaping it.
- Transfer cylinder of dough to the freezer and freeze at least 2 hours. When you're ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw so that it's easy to cut but is still chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice dough into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch rounds using a sharp knife. Place dough rounds on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden-brown around the edges. Remove form the oven and allow cookies to sit 30 minutes (during this time, you can prepare the chocolate shell). Use a spatula to transfer cookies to a plate or wire rack.
Make the Chocolate Shell:
- Add all ingredients for the chocolate shell to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low, whisking constantly. Heat and whisk just until all ingredients are combined and a smooth, creamy chocolate sauce has formed.
- Once the shortbread cookies have cooled completely, drizzle them with the chocolate shell mixture. I do this by holding the shortbread over the saucepan (to minimize mess) and using a spoon to drizzle and fully coat the surface of the cookie.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to allow the chocolate to harden. Once the chocolate is hard, you're ready to serve!