Does life ever feel like a massive game of 52 Card Pickup? You take all of your ideas, goals, fears, limitations, aspirations, feelings, hopes, put some upward force on them in order to see where and how they fall? Maybe for you, 52 Card Pickup is daily…maybe quarterly or annually…maybe once every ten years.
If you’re charging through your quarter-life crisis, you may be able to relate to the constant 52 Card Toss, where sometimes your cards plummet with the momentum of an 18 wheeler and sometimes they descend casually, gradually, elegantly like the tiniest down feather that keeps getting swooped up by an airstream. Sometimes your cards fall the way normal cards would: with gravity. And periodically no amount of searching will end in a complete 52-card deck. You may find a card in the refrigerator months later.
There are rounds of 52 that are fun and inspiring, where some rounds are nerve wracking. No matter where or when the 52 land, the result is the same: they land. The key is in the toss. No tossing means no change. No rearrangement. No 18 wheelers crashing; no teeny down feathers tickling your nose on the way down. The toss is where the magic happens – no matter how cruel, gut wrenching, or tiring it can be….it can be amazing.
The morning glory muffin is how you want to start the day when the day also begins with 18 wheelers. It contains all your favorite subtle flavors and this one’s not average. This one scrapes semi trucks off your living room floor. It is made with oat flour instead of wheat. Applesauce instead of oil. Honey instead of sugar. It’s good for you and it’s down for a game of 52.
Oat Flour Morning Glory Muffins
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour Bob's Red Mill
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger optional
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a muffin pan with grapeseed or olive oil.
- In a mixer or mixing bowl, add eggs, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together oat flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining ingredients (raisins, shredded carrot, walnuts, shredded coconut, honey) and mix until combined.
- Fill the muffin holes to the top (oat flour does not rise as much as wheat flour) and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the muffins test clean.