Creamy dairy-free, gluten-free paleo shrimp chowder made with a secret ingredient. This healthy chowder recipe is big on flavor!
This post is sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.
Homemade chowder is one of the most comforting soups in my opinion (my Vegan Corn Chowder, or Paleo Turkey Chowder have been household favorites and have also been super popular on the ol’ blog).
While I love a classic homemade corn chowder, I (much to my dismay) discovered about a year ago that corn is one of my food intolerances, so whenever I make chowder these days, it is corn-free.
Which is where this shrimp chowder comes into play – it is a corn-free chowder recipe that happens to also be dairy-free and gluten-free. Classic chowder recipes call for heavy cream or half & half and flour for thickening, which we can easily replace so that we’re left with a recipe that’s friendly for those who have intolerances to dairy and/or gluten.
Our replacement of choice in this particular situation? Avocado! We’re swapping both the dairy and the flour for 1 California avocado. It may sound strange, but you guys, it totally works. Not only does it work, but it turns out so silky-smooth!
Plus, there are so many big flavors in the soup, you won’t taste the avocado…just be sure you don’t skip the onions and garlic (unless you follow a Low-FODMAP diet, in which case, skip away!) because those are big flavor makers here!
While the paleo shrimp chowder turns out nice and thick, you can thicken it even more by adding 2 to 3 tsp tapioca flour at the same time you add the broth.
- Add your favorite vegetables – bell pepper, broccoli, and/or cauliflower would be great!
- Replace the shrimp with chicken.
- Add ½ cup coconut milk for a richer, creamier chowder experience.
- If you aren’t paleo, add dry white wine for a well-rounded flavor (see recipe card).
This recipe is best when eaten fresh, but it will stay fresh for 3 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. In this sense, this recipe wouldn’t be my first recommendation as a meal prep option, but it’s fabulous within that 3-day window.
Avocado paleo shrimp chowder? Let’s do this!
Paleo Shrimp Chowder
Shrimp chowder made gluten-free and dairy-free is easy to prepare and a nutritious dinner!
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jewel yam, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 California Avocado, peeled and diced
- 1.5 Tbsp ground paprika, *
- .5 to .75 pounds raw shrimp, de-veined
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, optional
- 1 California Avocado, sliced
- red pepper flakes
- dried parsley
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and yam and cover, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and garlic. Cover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables have softened but are still al dente, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add half the broth, vinegar, avocado, and paprika to a small blender and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the pot with the vegetables along with the remaining ingredients and stir well. Reduce heat, cover, and cook at a gentle boil for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chowder has thickened to desire level, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste chowder for flavor and add more sea salt to taste. Serve chowder with sliced avocado, red pepper flakes, and dried parsley.
*For smoky flavor, use smoked paprika. I use sweet paprika.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Friday 17th of August 2018
Three cheers for dairy free recipes! I LOVE the sound of this chowder. And how cool that there's actually avocado in the soup - I must try this!
Brittany Audra @ Audra's Appetite
Thursday 16th of August 2018
Such a creative idea to use avocado for creaminess! Also, I LOVE using smoked paprika...adds a wonderful depth of flavor! :)
Thursday 16th of August 2018
I love that you swapped flour + dairy for an avocado. Avocado's really are the best of mother nature's inventions!