Ground turkey taco skillet is an easy one-pot meal ready in less than 40 minutes! Make this as a meal prep recipe for work lunches, or toss it together any evening after work.
This one-skillet meal is ready in less than 40 minutes and is flavor-blasted with taco flavor! Ground turkey, onion, sweet potato, black beans, seasoning, cheese, and avocado come together in one skillet for a quick, clean dinner recipe that can be thrown together any night of the week!
These days it seems like 90% of my meals are prepared in a skillet. I’ve determined there’s just no going wrong with fresh vegetables, lean protein, and various flavorings (like onion, garlic, dried herbs and spices, etc). The result is often just what I’m looking for in a good meal: a nice balance of protein, carbs, fat, and fiber while being packed with flavor.
AND skillet meals are just so quick and easy to make!
So let’s make this one, shall we?
How to Make Ground Turkey Taco Skillet:
Add the avocado oil to a large (10-inch to 12-inch) cast iron or stainless steel skillet and heat to medium. Add the chopped sweet potato, stir, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
Scoot potatoes to the side and add the ground turkey and seasoning. Brown the turkey on each side 2 minutes before breaking up the meat with a spatula.
Mix sweet potato and turkey together. Add the broth, cover, and cook 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until much of the liquid has burned off.
Add chopped tomatoes, black beans and cheese. If you’d like, you can bake at 425 for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted, or simply stir everything together and serve. Before serving, taste the for flavor and add more chili powder, and/or sea salt to taste. You can also add a squeeze of lime juice and/or hot sauce!
Serve in bowls with sliced avocado and chopped chives.
If you’re looking for more carbs or veggies, both are easy to add to the meal! You can serve the meal with steamed rice, and/or add more chopped vegetables to the skillet. Of course, you can easily form proper tacos or burritos using the recipe!
- Replace the ground turkey with grass-fed ground beef or chicken.
- Add more vegetables, such as cauliflower, bell pepper, and/or zucchini
- Omit the beans if you don’t do legumes.
- Omit the cheese if you don’t do dairy.
More Healthy Skillet Recipes:
- Turkey Enchilada Skillet with Sweet Potato Rice and Beans
- 30-Minute Vegetable and Ground Beef Skillet
- Teriyaki Ground Turkey Skillet with Vegetables
- One-Skillet Ground Turkey Thai Curry with Rice
- Basil Coconut Ground Beef Skillet with Vegetables and Rice
- Zucchini and Ground Turkey Skillet
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this Turkey Taco Skillet, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
For your next taco Tuesday…
Ground Turkey Taco Skillet
- Add the avocado oil to a large (10-inch to 12-inch) cast iron or stainless steel skillet and heat to medium. Add the chopped sweet potato, onion, and garlic. Stir, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Scoot potatoes to the side and add the ground turkey and seasoning. Brown the turkey on each side 2 minutes before breaking up the meat with a spatula and mix in with the sweet potato and onion.
- Add the broth. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove cover and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, black beans and cheese. If desired, you can bake the taco skillet at 425 degrees F for 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Taste the mixture for flavor and add more chili powder, and/or sea salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls with sliced avocado and chopped chives.