I do believe this is the best thing I’ve grilled all summer.
Correction: this is the best meatless thing I’ve grilled all summer…
…because just the other day, I grilled bacon. The.End.
There really is no competing with crispy fatty bits, but this grilled veggie side dish is just such a winner. Grilled vegetables with pesto sauce and feta cheese? I know. It’s crazy simple, but it really does get the job done with authority.
Believe it or not, this is the first time I had ever grilled sweet potatoes. I’m not going to lie and say grilling is my all-time favorite method of preparing sweet potatoes, because roasting them is what really whets my whistle every dang time. I do love the char taste and crisp, so I will say it was a pleasant first experience, and one that will be repeated.
While grilled sweet potatoes aren’t my number one slow jam, grilled zucchini and yellow squash really play a number on my heart strings.
Aside from grating up zucchini and sticking it in zucchini bread, over an open flame is how I like my squarshes cooked.
I drizzled all the veggies with olive oil and sprinkled them with za’atar seasoning. You can also use your favorite spice blend, such as chili powder, curry powder, Cajun seasoning, or Jamaican jerk seasoning.
And zee pesto and feta affair…
Oh mamacita, it’s fantastic.
That the fresh basil pesto sauce you normally use for pasta or pizza can just be plopped upon some grilled veg and called a side dish. Just like that. The little sprinkle sprinkle of feta really ties the knot on this flavor matrimony.
Use your grilled veggie leftovers in my Leftover Grilled Vegetable Omelet with Pesto Sauce.
Fire it up!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash with Pesto and Feta
- 3 tablespoons to 4 olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspons Za’atar seasoning*
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large zucchini squash trimmed and chopped into ¼” rounds
- 1 large yellow squash trimmed and chopped into ¼” rounds
- 1/3 cup pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Cook the sweet potato in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender when poked with a fork. Set it on a cutting board and slice it into ¼”-thick rounds when cool enough to handle.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Brush the sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and sweet potato with olive oil and spinkle both sides with za’atar seasoning.
- Place the sweet potato slices on the grill and cook until grill marks appear, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 3 to 5 minutes, until sweet potato slices are tender and both sides have charred grill marks. Transfer grilled sweet potato to a large serving plate.
- Place zucchini and yellow squash slices on the grill and cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side, or until grill marks appear and squash has softened. Transfer to the serving plate with the sweet potato.
- Drizzle the pesto sauce over the grilled vegetables and sprinkle with feta cheese. If desired, sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, and a drizzle of fresh lemon juice. Serve with your favorite entree.