Vegan Pumpkin Curry with pumpkin puree, butternut squash, and plenty of vegetables! This hearty, comforting curry recipe is quick and easy to make and a lovely meal for fall.
For those evenings you’re on the prowl for a fall-infested meal that makes you feel super cozy and satisfied, I have JUST the thing!
You guessed it – Pumpkin Curry.
Butternut squash makes this vegan curry recipe extra comforting and with that fall appeal. The sauce turns out ultra thick and flavorful with pumpkin puree, and curry paste ensures you’re still receiving that authentic curry flavor.
Two of my favorite features? This curry comes together lightning quickly, AND it is super versatile. You can change up the curry paste (I go with red curry paste, but you can use your favorite!), add, subtract, swap vegetables to your heart’s delight, add plant-based or animal protein…Plenty of room for adaptation!
Here’s what you need to make this thing happen!:
Ingredients for Vegan Pumpkin Curry:
Sauce: Coconut milk, pumpkin puree, curry paste (red, yellow, or green!), fresh ginger, pure maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice (this is optional), and liquid aminos (or soy sauce). This combination results in silky-smooth curry sauce that is nice and thick and inviting.
Vegetables: Onion, garlic, butternut squash, broccoli, yellow squash, carrots, and peas. You can get creative with which vegetables you use! I adore this combination because it results in plenty of flavor, varying textures and lots of color (i.e. variety).
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Curry:
Add all of the ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook at a gentle bubble, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Chop all of the vegetables.
Heat the coconut oil (or avocado oil) in a large skillet. Sautee the onion, garlic, and butternut squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have begun to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer the sauce to the skillet and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables have reached desired done-ness (you’ll want the butternut squash to be very soft), about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve with steamed rice, and enjoy!
Tips for Preparing This Recipe:
Butternut squash can be quite the time commitment to peel and chop. If you can find frozen chopped butternut squash in the freezer section or fresh chopped butternut squash in the produce section of your grocery store, it will save you some time.
- Add 1 to 2 tsp fish sauce if you aren’t vegan.
- Replace the butternut squash with any winter squash, yukon gold potato, or sweet potato.
- Mix it up by incorporating your favorite vegetables!
- Add 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter to the sauce for an ultra thick, sultry sauce!
- If you aren’t vegan, you can add 1 large chopped chicken breast, and/or shrimp to the curry for a protein-packed version.
- Add 1 can of garbanzo beans for added plant-based protein.
What will you put in your pumpkin curry??
More Vegan Curry Recipes:
- Vegan Red Curry Zucchini Noodle Bowls
- Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup
- 30-Minute Thai Green Curry with Avocado
- 6-Ingredient 30-Minute Vegetarian Curry
- 30-Minute Summer Vegetable Red Curry
You put the pumpkin in the coconut and mix it all up 😀
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Pumpkin Curry Sauce:
- 1 (15-oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste, or green or yellow curry paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 3 Tbsp liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 crown broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 cup peas, canned or frozen
- Add all of the ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook at a gentle bubble, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Chop all of the vegetables while the curry sauce is cooking.
- Heat the coconut oil (or avocado oil) in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have begun to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables have reached desired done-ness (you’ll want the butternut squash to be very soft), about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice, and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts calculated for the curry only (not including rice)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 290Total Fat 19gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 27gNet Carbohydrates 24gFiber 5gSugar 12gProtein 3g