Taco Breakfast Casserole with ground beef, hash browns, cheese, chili powder, and more! This dreamy cheesy breakfast casserole is packed with taco-inspired flavor, is easy to make, and the perfect savory breakfast concoction.
Taco lovers and breakfast fanatics, you’re going to find great joy nestled in this meaty, dreamy, cheesy Taco Breakfast Casserole!
This easy recipe contains all the flavors of classic ground beef tacos mixed with breakfast goodies for the ultimate fantasy meal.
I made this Taco Breakfast Casserole for my partner and his best friend to bring with them on a hunt in October.
With zero cell phone reception, I was left to guess that at the very least, they wouldn’t run out of food for easy breakfasts.
He reported back that they both loved the hearty taco breakfast casserole and it made for a filling breakfast on the chilly mornings.
This simple recipe can be whipped up at a moment’s notice! It is versatile enough to toss all sorts of fresh produce and a variety of meats on board.
You can get creative with your additions or keep the recipe as is for a guaranteed delicious breakfast.
The way I see it, easy recipes like this are epic comfort food for the whole family to enjoy during the holiday season, or any time of the year.
Let’s chat about the simple ingredients for this amazing casserole recipe.
Ingredients for Taco Breakfast Casserole:
Avocado Oil: Used to sauté the onion and ground the beef, we use avocado oil or olive oil.
Onion & Garlic: Doing as they do, onion and fresh garlic add a tremendous amount of flavor to this casserole. To save time, you can replace them with garlic powder and onion powder if you’d like.
Ground Beef: Lean ground beef gets browned up and added to the casserole for that meaty ground beef taco vibe.
Green Bell Pepper: Adding sweet, bright flavor, bell peppers are a nice addition to give the casserole fresh taste and added flavor.
Chili powder: That ingredient that really makes
Canned Green Chilies: Mild diced green chiles bring a Mexican flair that makes this casserole sing!
Hash Browns: While hash browns are not a common ingredient in tacos, they are absolutely lovely in breakfast casseroles! I buy a bag of frozen hash browns, which I thaw while I’m preparing the recipe. If you buy a big bag (30-oz.), you will only need half of the bag so you can save the other half for your next breakfast adventure.
If you prefer using tortillas in place of hash browns, chop up 3 cups worth of flour or corn tortillas.
Cheddar Cheese: A generous amount of cheddar cheese brings that creamy, cheesy flavor that makes any casserole so inviting.
Eggs: Bringing the breakfast to the breakfast casserole, a dozen eggs brings everything together in one cohesive casserole.
For Serving: Green onions, avocado, sour cream, green salsa (or homemade Easy Salsa Verde) , more cheese, etc. Pick your favorite toppings! You can also serve with flour tortillas to make breakfast tacos out of the casserole.
This Mexican breakfast casserole recipe is mild as written. You can easily level up the spice by adding jalapenos, serranoes, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, hot salsa, and more.
- If you have regular whole milk, skim milk, or coconut milk on hand, mix 1/2 cup to 1 cup in with the whisked egg mixture.
- Add some crispy cooked bacon to the casserole if you’re a bacon lover.
- Replace the ground beef with breakfast sausage, ground turkey, or meat of choice.
- Use any cheese you love. Pepperjack, Colby Jack, and mozzarella are all great options.
- Replace the frozen hash browns with 3 cups of leftover cooked and chopped potatoes, shredded potatoes, or 3 cups of chopped corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
- Use taco seasoning instead of chili powder if you’d like.
- Add one can of drained black beans if you love beans.
- Use lean meat, low fat cheese, and replace half of the whole eggs with egg whites if you’re on a lower calorie diet.
Now that we’re familiar with the ingredients for this amazing taco breakfast casserole, let’s make it!
How to Make Taco Breakfast Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a large (13” x 9”) casserole dish with cooking oil.
Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the ground beef and use a spatula to break it into smaller pieces to brown. If you’d like, drain the excess fat. Stir in the bell pepper, chili powder, garlic and diced green chilis, salt, black pepper, and continue cooking until everything is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Transfer the thawed hash browns to the casserole dish in an even layer, followed by the ground beef mixture and the sea salt. Stir everything until well-combined.
Add half of the grated cheese and give everything another big stir.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until well-beaten. Season with sea salt, then pour the egg mixture over the meat and potatoes evenly. Top with the remaining grated cheese.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the casserole has set up.
Allow the casserole to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serve breakfast taco casserole with your choice of toppings, such as sour cream, avocado slices, guacamole, diced tomatoes, spicy or mild salsa, hot sauce, etc.
Store any leftover breakfast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serve it up with any additional side dishes, like Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash with Bacon and Spinach or Sweet Potato Home Fries for an unforgettable breakfast.
Meal prep it the night before as a make-ahead breakfast casserole to bake it up and serve the next morning! This delicious egg bake will surely be a big hit on any holiday morning.
Looking for more delicious savory breakfast recipes? Try these out!
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Mediterranean Breakfast Casserole
- Sweet Potato Sausage and Kale Breakfast Casserole
- Spinach Frittata with Zucchini, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
- Crustless Quiche
- Pear Apple Cheddar Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Bagel Sandwich
- Roasted Veggie and Avocado Breakfast Burritos
- Pesto Chicken Omelette
Enjoy your tacos for breakfast and breakfast with your tacos!
Taco Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a large (13” x 9”) casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and use a spatula to break it into smaller pieces to brown. If you'd like, drain the excess fat. Stir in the bell pepper, chili powder, garlic and diced green chilis, salt, black pepper, and continue cooking until everything is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the thawed hash browns to the casserole dish in an even layer, followed by the ground beef mixture, sea salt, and half of the grated cheese. Stir everything until well-combined.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until well-beaten. Season with sea salt, then pour the egg mixture over the meat and potatoes evenly.
- Top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the casserole has set up.
- Allow the casserole to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve breakfast taco casserole with your choice of toppings, such as sour cream, avocado slices, guacamole, diced tomatoes, spicy or mild salsa, hot sauce, etc.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.