A healthy breakfast casserole with sweet potatoes, sausage, and kale. This simple, clean recipe is perfect for feeding the whole family!
With Mother’s Day approaching, I have brunch on the brain.
My huge family gets together each year for Mother’s Day, and everyone brings something to eat. My mom and sisters are phenomenal bakers, and they usually make cinnamon rolls and muffins, while my brothers are captains of the appetizers and alcohol teams. This leaves me with my favorite type of dish to prepare: something savory and filling.
Veggie-scrambled eggs is my choice for breakfast every day, but that dish can be difficult to prepare for a large group of guests. For this reason, I love making breakfast casseroles – or oversized frittatas, if you will – to ensure everyone is full and happy.
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole:
Preparing this recipe is a cinch, and if necessary, you can make it in parts to accommodate your busy schedule. Simply sauté the veggies (either on the spot or up to a day prior to baking the casserole), then brown the sausage.
Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl, pour everything into a large casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese and you’re done! Once the casserole goes in the oven, you can work on other things or simply relax.
You can change up the ingredients in this recipe as desired to fit your palate. Here are some ideas:
- Replace the sweet potato with russets or Yukon Golds.
- Replace the kale with spinach
- Swap ham for sausage, or omit the meat altogether
- Add broccoli, zucchini, or any of your other favorite vegetables.
- Use your favorite fancy cheese in place of mozzarella…the combinations are endless.
- However you go about it, your guests will be grateful for this healthy yet comforting brunch option!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
- Bacon and Egg Casserole
- Zucchini Herb Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Roasted Veggie and Avocado Breakfast Burritos
- Zucchini Goat Cheese and Tomato Frittata
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato has softened but is still slightly firm, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and continue cooking until the mushrooms have softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to one side of the skillet and brown the sausage. If you're using pork sausage, drain any excess fat. Once cooked, stir the sausage in with the vegetables.
- Add the chopped kale and cover the skillet. Cook until the kale has wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir all the ingredients until they're thoroughly mixed. If water or moisture remains at the bottom of the skillet, continue cooking until the water evaporates.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly oil a large casserole dish. Transfer the vegetables and sausage to the casserole dish and allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish and use a wooden spoon to spread it so that the eggs and veggies are evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the casserole has set and the cheese is golden brown.
- Allow the casserole to cool 10 minutes before cutting large slices and serving with your guests' choice of toppings.
For a more tender and richly flavored casserole, add 1/3 cup of half & half to the egg mixture.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1 of 10
Amount Per Serving Calories 315Total Fat 19gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 16gNet Carbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 24g