Skip to Content

Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies

Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies that are fluffy and flavorful! A healthier cookie recipe perfect for fall and winter.
Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies | https://www.theroastedroot.net

I’d like to check in and see how your winter layer is coming along.  Short days, cold weather, holidays – fancy excuses to put on the winter layer.

Truth: 80% of this season’s layer is attributed to cookies, where cheese is to blame for the other 20%. Dairy, dairy, dairy, how delightfully cozy you are. If you’re enjoying your cookie layer as much as I, here’s a little goodie for you which can easily be construed as breakfast or snack. Or dinner if you’re a bachelor/bachelorette.

I found this recipe from Lemons and Lavender for sweet potato cookies and Lori describes them as being more like muffin tops or whoppie pies than cookies.

Muffin top treats to add to my cookie layer? Don’t mind if I do!!  I halved the recipe, added a little, subtracted a little and out popped what I would call a delicious treat that should find a safe happy home on your counter all winter long.

More Cookie Recipes:

  1. Gluten-Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
  2. Double Chocolate Vegan Black Bean Cookies
  3. Paleo Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies
  4. Paleo White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies - taste like muffin tops!

Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (see note)
  • ½ cup granulated sugar, see note
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 cup mashed sweet potato, 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions

  1. Wrap a medium-sized sweet potato in foil and roast at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes (until the potato feels very soft). When cool enough to handle, mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork and set aside.
  2. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
  3. In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  4. In a mixer, cream the sugar and butter until smooth.
  5. Add the sweet potato puree, ground ginger, orange zest, and vanilla and mix to combine.
  6. Add the egg and mix just until incorporated
  7. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until the dough forms.
  8. On a parchment-lined or lightly oiled baking sheet, drop spoonfuls of dough.
  9. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are golden brown.

Notes

To make these cookies refined sugar-free, use coconut sugar as a 1:1 replacement for both the granulated sugar and brown sugar.

Nutrition Information:
Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 of 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies
Roasted Walnut Chocolate Dipped Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies | TheRoastedRoot.net #dessert #chocolate #healthy #glutenfree
Previous
Oat Flour Shortbread Cookies with Walnuts
Next
Pulled Pork Mole Tacos

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Deka

Monday 18th of November 2013

Hi, do you know if this recipe would work with Bob Red Mill's Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour? And what do you think would happen if I substitute the white sugar with some date paste and some of the butter with some applesauce? Too much substitutions?

a farmer in the dell

Tuesday 22nd of January 2013

These cookies sound like the perfect breakfast! (yes I eat cookies for breakfast)! I big old cup of coffee and one of these guys sound like the perfect start to a winter day!

TiAnn | Bliss From Scratch

Wednesday 2nd of January 2013

Julia, oh these cookies. I cannot wait to give them a try, ginger in dessert is a secret weakness of mine. I'm definitely bookmarking your site, and can I just say that your photography is breathtaking. Really truly.

Julia

Thursday 3rd of January 2013

I love ginger too and it's so great for you! I'm so happy you like the recipe and let me know once you try the cookies!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)

Friday 28th of December 2012

Love these cookies! I love baking with pumpkin so I imagine sweet potato would give the cookies a similar soft texture!

marla

Friday 28th of December 2012

Beautiful! Love these cookies. Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Julia

Friday 28th of December 2012

Yippy! Great to hear it and glad you like the cookies!!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to Recipe