This Piña Colada Smoothie is sweet and creamy enough to taste like dessert, but healthy enough for breakfast or snack. Make it with fresh greens to add vitamins and minerals.
Smoothies. Essential part of my day these days. Come 10:30 to 11:00am, I crave my mid-morning frozen fruit beverage like no other until I quench it good.
Because I knee-jerk into autopilot with most things in life, I’m pretty boring with my smoothie ingredients (hello blueberry, banana, almond milk snooze) unless otherwise stimulated by an outside source.
Take this Piña Colada Smoothie for instance. Tastes sinful, like you’re drinking a tropical milkshake, yet it includes all-natural all-healthful ingredients.
I’ve made this smoothie at least 4 times, and haven’t tired of it yet.
Each time, I make it a little bit different each time, depending on whether I want it to be creamy dreamy and dessert-like, or lighter and “greener.”
I make this Piña Colada Smoothie two ways. One with greens, one without.
Method 1 for this recipe – a combination of coconut milk, fresh pineapple, ripe banana, lime juice, and honey.
Method 2 is to simply add greens, such as baby spinach, kale, or a superfood powder.
I like adding the collagen powder I told you all about last week in my Peach Green Smoothie Bowl post for some extra nutrient oomph.
You can also add some protein powder if that tickles you pink.
This particular smoothie recipe is super forgiving when it comes to alterations and additions.
Because it’s creamy, tangy, and sweet, it’s the perfect candidate for turning into a green smoothie, and/or for adding various protein powders.
- To make the smoothie ultra creamy, use full-fat canned coconut milk instead of light coconut milk.
- For a milk-shake, use coconut milk ice cream and coconut milk.
- Add your choice of greens, superfood smoothie powder, or protein powder.
- Toss in some rum and you’ve got yourself a true piña colada
Can’t stop (<- RHCP reference, you’re welcome).
- 3/4 cup canned light coconut milk*, 185 ml
- 3/4 cup cubed pineapple, 4.5 oz/125 g
- 1/2 medium banana, peeled and frozen
- 6 large ice cubes
- 1 teaspoons to 2 agave or pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch sea salt, optional
- leaves Handful baby spinach or kale
- 1 scoop powder of choice, such as Vital Proteins Collagen powder
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients for the smoothie to a high-powered blender. Blend until completely smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 Smoothie
Amount Per Serving Calories 267Total Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 42gFiber 5gSugar 26gProtein 2g