Quick, easy, and comforting One Pot Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta with spinach. This one-pot meal requires only a few straight-forward ingredients and takes less than an hour to make!
This one pot butternut squash and sausage pasta situation is just the easiest.
Everything happens in (you guessed it) one pot, so there’s no need to cook the noodles separately.
We sauté our vegetables first, then add the liquid and pasta noodles.
As the pasta cooks, we can slice up our sausage (I always use pre-cooked chicken sausage because it makes life super easy and is lighter than pork sausage) and grate our cheese.
These two ingredients, along with the spinach, will be added in at the very end.
Here’s where the fun part comes into play: you’ll notice there will still be some liquid in the pot after the noodles are fully cooked.
It’s cool, smalls.
We simply add in grated cheese in order to turn that liquid into a creamy sauce.
So what we end up with is a pot of hearty butternut squash and sausage pasta with spinach, all wrapped in a creamy sauce, making for a comforting pasta dinner that is still on the fairly light end.
A note about the pasta noodles: This recipe is tricky with gluten-free noodles, as some brands are more delicate than others and have a tendency to fall apart.
You can also use regular pasta noodles or use any shape you’d like.
I hope you enjoy this easy one-pot meal!
More Gluten-Free Pasta Recipes:
- 30-Minute Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Kale Pesto Pasta Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Broccoli
- 30-Minute Chicken and Zucchini Orrechiette Pasta with Lemon-Butter Sauce
- 30-Minute Sausage Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Zucchini Pasta with Beet Marinara Sauce
Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta on repeat!
One Pot Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small butternut squash peeled and chopped (3 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 12- ounce package gluten-free penne noodles
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 12-ounce package pre-cooked chicken sausage, (see note)*
- 4 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese grated (see note)**
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally until onion begins to turn translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chopped butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and white wine, and bring to a full boil. Add the penne noodles, Herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning) and sea salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook at a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Add the sliced sausage and greens and stir. Cook and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated, about another 2-5 minutes.
- Once much of the liquid has cooked off, add the Gruyere (or Parmesan) cheese, and lemon zest. Gently stir to avoid breaking the noodles. Serve with additional grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese.