Low-carb keto everything bagels made with almond flour. These tasty bagels are grain-free and so easy to bake!
One of my much coveted rituals when I was a kid was going to work with my mom during the summers to earn some extra mulah. We would stop at the local bagel shop before work and I’d get a toasted everything bagel smeared liberally with butter.
When I began eating gluten-free, it was not only difficult to find gluten-free bagels, but more importantly, good gluten-free bagels.
Recently, the nostalgic need for revisiting that childhood experience hit so assertively that I made it my mission to make grain-free low-carb keto everything bagels at home. I simply couldn’t withstand my craving any longer.
If there were an alternative title to this post, it would be Why Didn’t I Do This 8 Years Ago? You guys, the bagels are just that good.
I have the answer to my own question, though…I assumed until recently that making grain-free paleo bagels was difficult. The way we do them in this post, they are not difficult at all!
Let’s discuss these keto bagels in detail.
How to Make Keto Bagels:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and break out your donut mold. I use a silicone donut mold, which does not need to be sprayed or oiled prior to using.
Stir together the ingredients for the everything bagel seasoning. I doubled Natalie Perry’s recipe for Everything Bagel Seasoning to flavor these beauties, which leaves you with some extra seasoning. You can use this seasoning for sprinkling on your avocado toast, scrambled eggs, roasted veggies, you name it!
Whisk together the eggs and cider vinegar in a mixing bowl until well combined.
Stir together the almond flour, ground flax seed, everything bagel seasoning and baking soda in a separate mixing bowl.
Pour the beaten egg mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour mixture and stir well.
Transfer the bagel dough to the donut mold and sprinkle liberally with additional everything bagel seasoning.
Bake! Allow the bagels to cool at least 15 minutes before removing them from the mold.
What do Low-Carb Keto Bagels Taste Like?:
I’m going to give it to you straight – these bagels are spongier and not as crispy as a regular bagel. The texture is not exact, but when they are toasted they really do quench that bagel hankering.
Can I Bake These Without a Bagel Mold?
YES, absolutely! You can use a muffin tray instead – just be sure to spray/grease it first. Obviously, you won’t end up with a standard bagel shape, but you will still be able to enjoy these lumps as rolls.
Can I Freeze Homemade Bagels?:
Yes, absolutely. Simply place them in a zip lock bag, seal them up, and freeze them for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to eat one, thaw it at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Toast to your heart’s delight and go from there.
Bagel Topping Ideas:
Personally, I feel like everything bagels are a savory affair. You could absolutely go with sweet toppings like almond butter, sliced banana, peanut butter and jelly, etc, but I prefer the salty approach. Here are some ideas:
- You can go traditional with your standard cream cheese, or do as I do and smear with ghee or goat cheese. Recently, I’ve been adding smoked salmon.
- Cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs and bacon.
- Avocado and sunny side up or fried egg.
- Goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed spinach.
- Gouda cheese, turkey, pesto sauce
- This recipe has not yet been tested with other flours, so at the moment, I do not recommend any substitutions for the almond flour.
- For a more bagel-like texture, use 1 ½ cups almond flour and ½ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour.
- Omit the everything bagel seasoning to make these plain bagels.
- Use an egg wash for a laquered bagel top.
Enjoy! Let me know what you do with your bagels – I’d love to know your favorite toppings!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your all your support!
If you make these Keto Everything Bagels, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning, recipe below
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Everything Bagel Seasoning:
Make the Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- Stir together the ingredients for the everything bagel seasoning in a small bowl until well-combined. Set aside until ready to use.
Make the Keto Bagels:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set out your donut mold.
- Whisk together the eggs and cider vinegar in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Stir together the almond flour, ground flax seed, everything bagel seasoning, baking soda, and sea salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the bagel dough to the donut mold, filling the holes all the way up. Sprinkle liberally with additional everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, until bagels have risen quite a bit and are nice and golden-brown.
- Allow bagels to cool at least 15 minutes before releasing them from the mold.
- Slice in half, toast, and add your favorite toppings!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 25gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 5gProtein: 14g