Hummus flatbread with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, spinach, pine nuts, and pesto sauce makes for an easy-to-prepare appetizer or snack.
This hummus flatbread happens to be the ultimate reflection of my appetizer philosophy.
A little messy, a lot of flavor, strong potential to become actual dinner.
Smeared with your favorite kind of hummus then topped with all sorts of goodies like sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, sauteed spinach, feta cheese, and pesto sauce, you’re looking at a whole lot of flavor!
You can enjoy it hot or cold!
The only thing that could make this flatbread better is dipping the thing in more hummus.
One of the best parts about this recipe (aside from the fact that it requires only a handful of minutes to prepare) is it’s healthful with plant-based nutrition.
Flatbread made with whole grains, protein-packed hummus, and fiber from the veggies leads us to a healthful snack that we can use as a go-to any time of the day.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
Quick and Easy: This easy flatbread pizza situation comes together in a couple of minutes. You can toss everything on and go to town for a healthy tasty vegetarian lunch or snack.
Versatile: Fiercely customizable, this flatbread is the perfect go-to for an afternoon snack or pre-dinner appetizer. The perfect snack for tiding you over between meals.
Budget-Friendly: Inexpensive to make, you can toss anything you like on this healthy flatbread recipe.
So Delicious!: Loaded with big Mediterranean flavors, this yummy hummus recipe is everything your taste buds crave and more.
Let’s discuss the simple ingredients for this delicious hummus flatbread recipe. You can find all of them at any grocery store!
Ingredients for Hummus Flatbread:
Flatbread: Pick up some pre-baked flatbread from the grocery store. Most grocery stores have many options, including regular flatbread, naan bread, pita bread, etc. You can use store-bought whole wheat or gluten-free flatbread, or even make your own homemade flatbread.
Hummus: Use your favorite homemade or store-bought hummus. I used Sabra hummus to keep the recipe extra quick and easy. I also love the idea of using my Creamy Roasted Garlic Hummus.
Sun-Dried Tomatoes: A burst of bright flavor, sun-dried tomatoes bring Mediterranean vibes and bring tangy deliciousness. You can replace them with fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, or swap them out for something else.
Spinach: Baby spinach gets sauteed up to add a boost of Vitamins and minerals to this healthy snack.
Pine Nuts: Adding a lovely crunch and nutty flavor, pine nuts are an all star ingredient for bringing spunk.
Pesto Sauce: Pick your favorite store-bought or homemade pesto sauce and drizzle it on!
Feta Cheese: Bringing creamy, tangy flavors to the recipe, feta cheese is a lovely addition here. Use vegan feta cheese for a dairy-free option.
Looking to customize your flatbread? Here are some ideas.
- Add roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, capers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, or kalamata olives for even more variety and flavor.
- Top with any fresh seasonal veggies, cheese, nuts and seeds you happen to have in your pantry.
- Drizzle the whole thing with lemon juice and/or sprinkle on some lemon zest.
- If you have fresh herbs like fresh parsley or basil on hand, feel free to sprinkle them on.
- Use pita bread or any kind of flatbread you like. Even baguette, pita chips, or pizza dough works here.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the creamy hummus naan bread and bake the flat bread in the oven for a crispy delight.
- Swap the feta cheese for goat cheese.
- Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Now that we’ve covered all the basic ingredients, let’s make this delicious flatbread recipe.
How to Make Hummus Flatbread:
Heat a little olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach and cover the skillet. Cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes, until it has wilted.
Toast the naan/flatbread on a hot skillet, in the oven, toaster oven, or air fryer to warm it up. Transfer the crispy flatbread to a cutting board.
Smear the hummus liberally over the naan. Layer with sauteed spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts. Drizzle with pesto sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Cut into pieces and serve warm or cold.
Note: You can serve this hot like a hummus pizza by preparing the recipe on a baking sheet and baking at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the flatbread is crispy.
And that’s it! A lovely flatbread recipe that takes mere minutes to prepare!
Whip it up as a quick appetizer for any occasion.
Or, actual dinner. What happens between you and the hummus stays between you and the hummus.
My favorite part? This simple recipe is completely informal yet healthful, and satisfying.
Make a big batch for meal prepping and store individual servings in separate containers.
If you’re all about easy appetizers for entertaining guests, here are more reader favorites.
More Healthy Appetizer Recipes:
- Salmon Poke Recipe
- How to Make a Legit Charcuterie Board
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Roasted Beet Salad with Herbed Whipped Ricotta and Citrus Dressing
- Classic Halibut Ceviche
For our next unofficial meal:
Hummus Flatbread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach, and Pesto
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the spinach and cover. Cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Toast the naan/flatbread on a skillet or in the oven.
- Smear the hummus liberally over the naan. Layer with sauteed spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and pine nuts. Drizzle with pesto sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Cut into pieces and serve.
- Note: You can serve this hot like a hummus pizza by preparing the recipe on a baking sheet and baking at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the flatbread is crispy.
This post was sponsored by Sabra in 2017.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.