A straight-forward yet mouth-watering recipe for easy Chicken Shawarma. This perfectly-spiced Mediterranean style chicken is quick to prepare and perfect to make up any night of the week and is great for those who follow the paleo, keto, or Mediterranean diet!
Do you follow a Paleo diet? A Mediterranean diet? Something whole food-esque that you don’t really put a name to?
I recently listened to this podcast by Dr. Ruscio where he sites a study showing both the Paleo and the Mediterranean diets have been linked to lower instances of cancer and disease, and lengthen lifespan.
The study showed no preference over Mediterranean versus Paleo – both were equivalent in their efficacy to enhance overall health.
This to say, I find any diet that incorporates fresh, whole foods with an emphasis on adequate quality protein and unsaturated fats to be healing and ideal over a heavily processed diet.
Which brings me to my next point: Mediterranean-inspired Chicken Shawarma. Have you had it??
Tender chicken flavored with garlic, sumac, aleppo, cumin, cinnamon, and more is a mega win for those of you who love a flavorful cut of animal protein.
This ultra amazing recipe for everyday easy Chicken Shawarma comes from Samantha Farraro’s cookbook, The Weeknight Mediterranean Kitchen. Just as the title suggests, Samantha’s book is comprised of 80 authentic Mediterranean recipes that are quick and easy to make any night of the week.
In case you’re new to this gem of a woman, Samantha is the blogger behind Little Ferraro Kitchen. I’ve been following her blog for years and years – she’s truly talented as a healthy recipe developer!
This book is perfect for anyone who enjoys a eating healthfully and doesn’t necessarily have a ton of excess time to prepare it. If you follow a Mediterranean-style diet, you’ll love the book even more. The recipes are fresh and easy and jam packed with flavor.
Not to mention, the photographs in Samantha’s book are so gorgeous. After flipping through it, you’ll want to make each and every recipe. Guaranteed!
This easy Chicken Shawarma is seriously such a cinch to make.
How to Make Easy Chicken Shawarma:
Marinate the chicken in spices, olive oil, and garlic for 15 minutes to 8 hours.
While the chicken is marinating, whip up the amazing tahini sauce that Samantha suggests to go along with it. The tahini sauce is so herby, creamy, and perfect for dipping the chicken!
Serve the chicken shawarma however you’d like! You can turn it into a wrap using a tortilla or collard green leaf, use it in a salad, or simply serve it up as finger food with cucumber, tomato, and any other fresh vegetables.
Enjoy this incredible Mediterranean-style chicken on repeat.
Easy Chicken Shawarma
Easy Chicken Shawarma:
Prepare the Chicken Shawarma:
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the chicken. Use your hands to toss everything around until chicken is well coated in marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 20 minutes (up to 1 hour).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Transfer chicken (including marinade) to a foil-lined baking sheet or a casserole dish. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Increase oven heat to 425 degrees F and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until skin is golden-brown and crispy.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow it to sit 10 minutes before slicing and serving with magic tahini sauce.
Make Magical Tahini Sauce:
- Add all ingredients for the sauce to a small blender and blend until smooth. Taste sauce for flavor and add lemon juice or sea salt to desired taste.