I’ve been going through this thing.
It’s called All the Bad Bacteria.
The bad bugs have infiltrated my holy temple like Cary Elwes storming the castle. ^^^ Not the best reference to Princess Bride ever, but we’ll take what we can get.
Anyhoo, I’ve been sick for like a week. Which never happens. Not ever. Never.
I won’t bore you with the details of being plagued by the cold from hell in July, but I tell ya, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle if I haven’t been sipping on chicken soup with rice to calm my aches. < – Not the best use of the phrase “I’ll be a monkey’s uncle” ever, but we’ll take what we can get.
‘Tis true, I’ve been throwing myself sickly sicko pity parties in the form of hearty soup, sweet potato fries, twangy country music, and every single tea under the sun. Yes, I did say sweet potato fries. Which probably won’t make sense as a cold remedy until your hand, foot, chest, and eyeball disease causes you to throw yourself on the floor like a ragdoll and pound the carpet with your fist, moaning “whyyyy life, whyyyyy? I need sweet potato fries.” Not that that happened (it totally happened). But at that point, you’ll understand the sweet tater fry portion of the pity party.
This recipe is everything you need to nurse yourself back to health. Or keep yourself full and happy as a lark. It’s thick, cozy, hearty, and filling. It makes enough soup for an army. Or one sick person who has put herself on All the Bad Bacteria House Arrest and has determined the ONLY THING SHE SHALL EAT is chicken soup (and sweet potato fries) until ALL THE BAD BUGS have exited the premises.
Meaning it makes a lot of soup. And all of it is equally delicious.
I put hot sauce all up on this cozy train. The hot sauce added a nice little WOOP! and helped clear out the sinuses. I’d recommend you do the same.
Take back your life. Sip on chicken soup with rice in July.
Hearty Chicken Soup with Rice and Kale
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 2 quarts + 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 zucchini squash chopped
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast chopped
- 1 leaves head kale stems removed, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high and sauté the onion until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrot, garlic, and rice, oregano, basil, cumin and salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, chicken, and chopped kale leaves and cover the pot again. It will be very full, but the kale will cook down. Continue cooking until chicken and veggies are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve heaping bowls of soup with your favorite hot sauce.