Fruit salad with ripe seasonal fruit and naturally sweetened coconut whipped cream makes for a fresh and frisky side dish. The perfect fruit salad to bring to a picnic or barbecue!
For me, Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer even though there are still three-ish weeks until the summer solstice. It’s the first uuuge barbecuing weekend of the year, where we break out our sundresses, sangria, and steak…to me, all the aforementioned = summer. Never look back. Never surrender.
You’re looking at one of my go-to summer side dishes.
This fruit salad (or as I like to call it, The Only Fruit Salad Recipe You’ll Ever Need) is PERFECT for whipping up and bringing to any picnic or barbecue.
It’s all things…
- Fresh and seasonal
- Dairy-free and vegan
- Naturally sweetened
- Super flavorful
- Ripe and zesty
What do I do to “dress” a fruit salad? Homemade coconut whipped cream, my friends.
I simply refrigerate a can of full-fat coconut milk for a few hours (overnight works, too), scoop out the hardened flesh, and stick it in a stand mixer along with honey, vanilla extract, AND lemon extract.
Whip those ingredients together with a pinch of sea salt, and you’re looking at the best thing since sliced bread…or mayo.
- Be sure to refrigerate your can of coconut milk prior to preparing this recipe – the longer the better. If your coconut flesh isn’t super solid when you go to whip it, you’ll end up with a watery fruit salad (which is fine if that’s your jam).
- If you don’t have a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, no big deal! You can use a mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
- Replace the honey with pure maple syrup or agave to make this recipe vegan.
- Incorporate any of your favorite in-season fruit. Did you buy a ton of blueberries and raspberries from the Farmer’s Market? Toss them in? Obsessed with all things melon? Melon to your heart’s delight. Love Banana or apple in fruit salad? In they go, amigo!
- If you don’t have fresh mint on hand, you can omit it from the recipe OR use fresh basil instead.
Kitchen tools I used for this recipe:
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
Fruit Salad with Lemon Coconut Whipped CreamPrint
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 3 cups strawberries halved
- 3 cups green grapes
- 2 cups ripe peaches pitted and chopped (2 )
- 1 cup large ripe mango peeled and chopped (1 )
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 3 leaves large fresh mint finely chopped
- Add all of the ingredients for the coconut whipped cream to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Start mixer on low, then gradually work up to the highest speed. Whip until very thick and fluffy.
- Add all of the fruit to a large serving bowl, along with the zest and mint. Add the coconut whipped cream and toss until everything is well-coated. Taste the fruit salad and add more honey if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You only need the coconut flesh (or coconut cream) from the can of coconut milk. Refrigerate the can of coconut milk for at least 3 hours (overnight is better). When ready to make the coconut whipped cream, scoop only the hardened cream out of the can, saving the coconut water for later use, such as a smoothie.