Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup is a delicious vegan creamy soup recipe perfect for any time of the year! Easy to make and so tasty!
I think you have really great taste.
I’m totally batting doe eyes at you right now.
Sometimes, you do things like pin the Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup that I included in my 35 Crock Pot Recipes Roundup last week 500 bajillion times, and it makes me realize: I want that soup now. It monkeys with my brainsicles. If they (you) want it, I want it. They (you) have really great taste.
Stop it, you wizards.
You pin my roundup recipes – – – > I want to make the recipes – – – > I make the recipes – – – > I eat crock pot tomato basil soup = ∂²R/∂Q². Whoa, I lost myself for a second.
Back to my story.
Your pinning behavior has been determining my behavior. You pin yummy things and then you pin fashionista swagger things and x leads to y. . .
. . .which leads to me signing up for Stitch Fix. And now, I not only rely on you to tell me what tastes good, but I rely on someone else to clothe me, too. This is your brain on pinterest. No, it’s my brain on pinterest. I’m so easily influenced.
1010111100011101. Okay, no…that’s just your brain on binary.
Anyway, I decided to make the tomato basil parmesan soup. But haste: I’m a stubborn little hoss and can’t seem to follow a recipe to save my life. Believe that. I add and subtract and pretty soon, I’m left with a recipe that pretty much bears no resemblance to the original.
I took the dairy out of the original recipe, making this a vegan soup because you like vegan food and so do I. Many, many nods of agreement.
I used almond milk instead of cream. Almond milk? You ask. Does the soup taste like almond milk? You ask. No, it doesn’t. Stop acting a fool. You’re just gonna have to take a flying leap of faith that the soup tastes like tomato and basil.
Let me tell you something that may straight up lose you. I believe in sautéing before crocking. OH! Our relationship is on the fritz! I tell you to crock pot and then I tell you to sauté?? Crock pot purpose = defeated? Julia: 0, Skillet: 1?? No. Sautéing makes crocking a tastier experience. So you do a little sauté foreplay and then you get down to the crock and what comes out is a lovely fall soup.
All of that to say. Crock pot tomato basil soup. That’s what I said.
Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons basil paste or 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Add oil to a skillet and heat to medium. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, oregano, thyme, and salt, and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Pour the sautéed vegetables into your crock pot along with the remaining ingredients for the soup and secure the lid.
- Slow cook on low for 4 hours.
- Pour the tomato basil soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve with crusty rustic bread or a freaking delicious sandwich.