Spanish Cauliflower Rice with kale is a nutrient-packed low-carb side dish to enjoy alongside your favorite main entrees! This easy-to-prepare recipe is just like your favorite Spanish-style rice!
In honor of yesterday’s publication of my cookbook, Let Them Eat Kale (update: now known as The Quintessential Kale Cookbook) , I thought I would share one of the recipes from the book.
My friend, Jen Schmidt snapped photos of me prepping the cauliflower rice, and once the recipe was finished, Jen and I both took photos of the end result.
Cauliflower rice is one of my favorite side dishes to make and eat in volume.
Grating it requires a little elbow grease, but you can also use a food processor.
I figured because cauliflower is a thing and kale is a thing, I may as well put the things together and create the ultimate trendy dish. Spanish Cauliflower Rice with Kale should be in all your burritos until the end of time. It will make you quiver and slur your words. Or is that tequila? Bygones.
Oh, here I am! I’m about to destroy – nay, improve – a head of cauliflower.
You begin by grating up a whole head of cauliflower and chopping your onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
You then remove the stems from your kale leaves…
… and chop the leaves up. You can use the stems in a smoothie or feed them to your dog!
You sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño until they’re nice and soft. Then add your cauliflower.
Let the cauliflower cook down for 5 to 8 minutes or so. Then, in go the diced tomatoes, chili powder and salt.
Followed by the kale leaves. Continue cooking until the kale leaves are nice and wilted.
What happens next is between you and the cauliflower rice.
Check out The Quintessential Kale Cookbook on Amazon!
Spanish Cauliflower Rice with Kale
- Remove all of the green stems from the cauliflower and chop the head in half. Using a box grater (or a food processor), grate the whole head of cauliflower.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil to medium-high and sauté the onion until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, and garlic and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to turn brown and cook down, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt, and chili powder and stir well to combine. Cook until much of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale leaves and stir them into the mixture well. Cook until they have turned bright green and have wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Serve cauliflower rice alongside your favorite entrée.