Rich and creamy chocolate açaí bowls are a nutritious vegan breakfast that tastes like dessert. Get your superfood fix and satisfy your sweet tooth all in one bowl!
Açaí bowls. Have you dabbled??
This açaí bowl fools you into thinking you’re doing something uber naughty for your body, when, in fact, you’re doing something nice.
Real nice. Because: vitamins, fiber, antioxidants.
And don’t forget the YUM part!
What is an Açaí Bowl?
In case you’re unfamiliar with açaí bowls, they’re basically a super thick smoothie made with the superfruit, açaí berry. Açaí berries come from Brazil and are full of antioxidants, omega fatty acids, B vitamins, vitamin K and fiber.
Açaí bowls are thick smoothie bowls made with frozen açaí berries, any other fruit you desire (banana is a popular addition), and some form of liquid – typically a non-dairy milk like coconut milk or almond milk and/or juice, such as apple juice or orange juice.
Some people add adaptogens like ashwagandha, cordecepts, astralagus, maca, and/or turmeric to boost the health benefits even further.
A typical açaí bowl is served with a variety of toppings, like granola, nuts, fresh fruit, etc. You get to choose your own adventure here! Try out my Paleo Granola for an amazing topping!
In summary: we like them because they’re super nutritious and also super delish for your head trap.
Where Do I Get Açaí Berries?
Thankfully, the food industry makes sourcing açaí berries very easy. A few companies make pureed acai pouches, which you can simply open and add to your blender along with any other ingredients you fancy. You can find these at most natural food stores, including Whole Foods. You can also buy them online!
I love the rich chocolate-berry-banana-cinnamon flavor in this bowl. It’s so creamy and tastes decadent but is just so healthful and packed with nutrients. This recipe makes two açaí bowls, but you can easily double the recipe to serve more people. Or halve it in order to just feed your yourself.
More Açaí Bowl Recipes:
- The Ultimate Acai Bowl
- Apple Walnut Acai Bowls
- Kiwi Strawberry Acai Bowls
- Cherry Coconut Smoothie Bowls
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- 2 large super ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- 2 (3.5-ounce) pouches unsweetened acai berries*
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder**
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew or almond butter, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, or almond milk
- Add all of the ingredients for the acai bowls to a high-powered blender. Blend until thick and smooth - you may need to start and stop the blender to stir several times, and/or add slightly more liquid.
- Pour the acai smoothie into two separate bowls. Serve with chia seeds, coconut milk, sliced banana, and shaved dark chocolate.
*I use Sambazon acai smoothie packs, which you can get at most natural food stores
**You can also use unsweetened cocoa powder
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 380Total Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 64gFiber 5gProtein 6g