In the event you have a massive craving for soup, need the guarantee that it will turn out spectacular, AND are all about making cooking the easiest thing you’ve done all day, then this Rotisserie Chicken Soup is for you!
Pick up a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store along with some chicken broth and fresh veggies and you’re all set!
This is truly how lazy I am.
Step 1: buy a fully-cooked chicken. Step 2: toss it in a pot with broth and veggies, and WHAMO! Dinner for days!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’ve been making chicken soup using store-bought chicken a lot recently.
I’m all about making food from scratch, but here’s the thing: store-bought rotisserie chicken is just SO GOOD!
Plus, it makes the soup making process so quick and easy, and you’re guaranteed to end up with an amazing result.
I love that rotisserie chicken is super moist and flavorful, resulting in amazingly comforting soup with the most tender, delicious meat.
My trick to preparing soup relatively quickly is sautéing the veggies first. I simply cook the vegetables until they have softened but are still al dente before adding the broth, seasoning, and/or animal protein.
In this case, since the chicken is already cooked and has tons of flavor, the soup is done once it has reached a full boil and the vegetables have reached your desired done-ness!
For me, the whole process takes roughly 30 minutes.
I often eat my chicken soup with rice. If you’d like to cook rice into your soup, add 1/3 cup of brown or white rice and allow the soup to cook long enough to cook the rice – about 30 minutes.
I typically already have steamed rice on hand, so I simply add the amount I want to my bowl along with the soup 😉
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken Soup:
Pour the avocado oil into a large pot or Dutch oven and heat to medium-high.
Add the carrots, cover the pot, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining vegetables, cover, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all of the vegetables have softened, but are still al dente.
While the vegetables are cooking, remove all of the meat from the rotisserie chicken.
Transfer the remaining ingredients (broth, rotisserie chicken, Italian seasoning, and sea salt) to the pot. Cover, and bring soup to a full boil. Cook for 5 or so minutes, or until the vegetables have reached your preferred level of doneness.
Note: I like to add the chicken bones to the pot too for the cooking process 🙂
Serve in big bowls, and enjoy!
- I keep this soup super easy and Low-FODMAP, which means I don’t use onion or garlic. You can absolutely incorporate onion and/or garlic if you’d like!
- Consider adding any of your favorite soup vegetables. Cauliflower, peas, green beans, and/or celery are great!
- Make your own rotisserie chicken! I make mine in the Instant Pot. You can check out my Instant Pot Garlic Herb Rotisserie Chicken to make this whole recipe from scratch.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Italian Wedding Soup with Rice
- Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup with Ground Turkey
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Hearty Ground Turkey Soup with Vegetables
- Instant Pot Steak and Potato Soup
- Immunity-Boosting Turmeric Chicken Soup
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- Pour the avocado oil into a large pot or Dutch oven and heat to medium-high.
- Add the carrots, cover the pot, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining vegetables, cover, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all of the vegetables have softened, but are still al dente.
- While the vegetables are cooking, remove all of the meat from the rotisserie chicken.
- Transfer the remaining ingredients (broth, rotisserie chicken, Italian seasoning, and sea salt) to the pot. Cover, and bring soup to a full boil. Cook for 5 or so minutes, or until the vegetables have reached your preferred level of doneness.
- Serve in heaping portions and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 10gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g