Quick, easy pesto chicken pasta with mushrooms and broccoli is a comforting, cozy meal that is fast enough for whipping up any night of the week, and fancy enough for a date night in!
It has been a long, long time since I’ve posted a gluten-free pasta recipe. Probably because it isn’t often that I eat pasta. Trust me, not out of lack for want.
Pasta is one of those dishes I thoroughly enjoy, but I keep it a rare, well-timed event when I’ve been hitting the cardio hard and am jonesing for a pleasant little date night with myself.
For me, few things compare to the comfort of perfectly textured noodles with a fresh, flavorful homemade sauce.
Which brings me to my next point: gluten-free noodles. No, they are not all created equally! I have tried quite a few brands, and my favorite is this brand (not sponsored) made with brown rice.
They hold together like little champs (some gluten-free noodles just disintegrate) and still have that al dente essence that I love.
A simple recipe with homemade pesto sauce, chicken, mushrooms, and broccoli, this pasta covers all your comfort food bases. Carby and filling without feeling heavy, nutritious, and clean.
I have to say, I have a special place in my heart for pesto-slathered pasta.
I make my pesto sauces without parmesan cheese or garlic for a belly-friendly pesto sauce. If you tolerate both dairy and garlic, by all means, add them in!
How to Make Pesto Chicken Pasta:
Preparing this recipe is a simple three step process:
1) Make the pesto sauce.
2.) Cook the chicken and veggies in the pesto sauce.
3.) Cook the pasta noodles while the chicken and veggies are cooking.
3.5) Toss the pasta noodles and saucy chicken and veggies together.
Okay, that was four steps.
Once everything is tossed together, add sea salt to taste. Also feel free to add grated parmesan cheese here!
From start-to-finish, this meal comes together in under 45 minutes, making it ideal for those busy weeknights. You can prepare the pesto sauce ahead of time to make the recipe in parts and save yourself some time!
Low-Carb / Paleo / Keto Option:
Low-Carb/Keto Eaters!: Don’t freak out. I have moves for you. You can 3000% make this without noodles. Seriously, just follow all of the instructions, but skip the noodles.
You’ll end up with an ultra delicious paleo and keto-friendly meal that will still satisfy your needs!
That’s it – a simple four step meal that is goof proof and just so lovely!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out, and thank you for your support!
If you love pasta, be sure to check out..
More Delicious Gluten-Free Pasta Recipes:
- 30-Minute Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chicken Pasta
- One-Pot Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Kale Pesto Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 30-Minute Sausage Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup avocado oil, or olive oil
For the Pasta:
Make the Pesto Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spread the raw walnuts on a baking sheet. Roast 3 to 5 minutes, or until walnuts are golden-brown. Allow walnuts to cool at least 5 minutes
- Transfer walnuts to a food processor, along with the basil, cider vinegar, and sea salt. Pulse until ingredients are chopped. Turn the food processor on and slowly stream the oil through the hole in the top until combined. If desired, add more oil for a thinner consistency. Set aside until ready to use.
Make the Pasta:
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (note: I usually cook mine a few minutes less than is suggested on the package).
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium and add the mushrooms and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are golden-brown and soft, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Scoot the vegetables off to the side of the skillet and add the chopped chicken. Brown 2 to 3 minutes, then stir into the vegetables to combine.
- Transfer all of the pesto sauce to the skillet and stir well. Cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes, until chicken has cooked through (note: reduce heat to medium-low if mixture is boiling out of control). Uncover and continue cooking until any excess moisture has burned off.
- Transfer the cooked pasta noodles to the skillet with the chicken and veggies and carefully stir together (I use a spatula to fold everything together to avoid noodle breakage).
- Taste the pasta for flavor and add sea salt (and/or parmesan cheese!) to taste.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 676Total Fat 27gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 73gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 36g