30-Minute Paleo Mango Cashew Chicken ready in a flash! This soy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free take on cashew chicken is clean, healthful, and tastier than takeout!
I first published this recipe in April of 2014. Because I know so many of you are Chinese food fanatics like me, I figured I would re-post it for those of you who are newer here!
The basic gist of this simple yet wildly flavorful meal is we’re making a soy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free (paleo-friendly) version of Mango Cashew Chicken.
It is simply everything you want in a hearty meal!
Covering the savory, sweet, tangy, umami bases with plenty of yummy textures, this simple recipe is easy to toss together in less than 40 minutes.
Make it any ol’ night of the week!
You can serve it up with your favorite sides to fit your dietary needs. Cauliflower rice or regular steamed rice are my recommendations, as they will help soak up that tasty sauce.
Let’s discuss the fresh and funky ingredients needed to make this healthy dinner recipe happen!
Ingredients for Paleo Mango Cashew Chicken:
For the Sauce: Coconut aminos, unsweetened almond butter, sriracha, orange zest, pure maple syrup.
If you aren’t soy-free, you can replace the coconut aminos with liquid aminos or soy sauce. If you go this route, you may want to add more pure maple syrup, as coconut aminos is naturally sweet whereas liquid aminos (or soy sauce) is savory.
For the Mango Cashew Chicken: Onion, garlic, carrot, bell pepper, chicken, cashews, mango.
This combination of goodies yields a filling and flavorful meal! Feel free to add in some fresh ginger if you love it.
How to Make Mango Cashew Chicken:
Begin by making the sauce. To do so, simply stir the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl or measuring cup until everything is combined. Set the sauce aside until you’re ready to use it.
Get some oil heating in a frying pan or wok, then sauté the vegetables. I like to start by sautéing the onion to get it to soften up a bit and unlock all of that amazing flavor.
Once the vegetables have softened, add in the chopped chicken and cook for a few minutes to allow the chicken to brown.
Stir in the sauce and bring everything to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook until everything is cooked through and the sauce is thick. If you need to remove the lid and cook at a boil to get the sauce to thicken for a few minutes, go ahead and do so!
Serve the Mango Cashew Chicken with cauliflower rice (as pictured) or your choice of steamed or fried rice.
Here are some ways you can change up the recipe depending on your personal taste!
If you’re serving more than 3 people, double the recipe. As written, the recipe makes a smaller batch of food, ideally for two or three.
Replace the coconut aminos with liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce if you aren’t soy-free. Add an additional tablespoon of pure maple syrup if you go this route.
Make recipe Low-FODMAP by omitting the onion and garlic and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar or rice vinegar to the sauce.
Add in your favorite veggies! Broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, celery, and zucchini are all good options.
More Quick & Easy Chinese Recipes:
- 30-Minute Paleo Orange Chicken
- Easy 30-Minute Paleo Mongolian Beef
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Easy Healthy Szechuan Chicken
- 30-Minute Sesame Ginger Garlic Broccoli Beef
Enjoy this flavor-blasted meal!
30-Minute Paleo Mango Cashew Chicken
For the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos, orange zest, maple syrup, almond butter, and chili garlic sauce until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet, wok or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until it begins to turn translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped raw chicken and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the sauce and continue cooking, stirring frequently, allowing the mixture to come to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chopped mango and cashews. Stir well and cook just until heated through.
- Serve the cashew chicken over cauliflower rice.